• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

SnakeEyes27

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My nitrates and phosphates are at 0, but is still get a light coat of green algae on my glass and rock.

1) Is this expected?
2) When I was running a planted tropical tank it was common practice to turn your lights off midday for an hour to prevent algae blooms. The logic was that alga needed ~ an uninterupted 8 hours or so of light to grow while the plants werent affected by the interuption. Would a siesta affect the corals? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Snake,

Sorry to say your phosphatas are not zero - see jackson's signature. The only true way to know if it is zero is to test with a colormeter (hannah) for Po4 - the lowest i have ever seen my phosphates on that test was .02 - and that's really low. still get algae on the glass, just not a predominantly as others.

Algae will still grow even with ambent light from the room, so, unless you wrap your tank in black sheets, it'll grow as long as it has a food source.

Good luck - the quest for zero has begun :)

House

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
How old is your tank?

At one point after I set mine up, everythig was neon green with "algae dust".

My tank is three years old, and I still get it on the glass if I don't clean it every day - especially in the summer as my tank has windows on two sides. It is easy to brush off with the mag float.

SnakeEyes27

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Mines only 2 months old so i got a way to go... Are there any general tips around lighting to combat it? The siesta was a sweet trick with freshwater. Right now I my cycle is:

1 Hr Actinic - 6 Hours Actinic & Daylight - 1 Hr Actinic

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: