• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone:

if any of you have been looking and the general discussion section under new here that is me, i have a couple of questions , as stated under the above forum i am looking to set up a seahorse tank on a slow bases and would like to get some frags for this setup that would be safe for seahorses , as of right now i have a 20 high setup with a perfecto full hood and a freshwater grow bulb in it and will be changing this bulb out to a 50/50 bulb soon ?, unless you folks have a better idea then what has already been stated in other post , i would like what ever any of you have that may be safe for seahorses and if you need a list of what maybe safe please let me know and i will send a list in so everybody can see what they may have and that will work with the above light source for a short time .
thanks in advance
mike 2670

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Make sure you don't add any "stinging" corals. Things like hammer coral, bubble coral, etc. Do not add any anemone's either.

If I were you I would focus more on the lights right now because that is going to dictate what you can keep coral-wise. Do more research on the types of lights appropriate for your tank. Personally I would use a 150 watt MH bulb/fixture but there are other options for keeping corals. Mentioning you are getting a 50/50 bulb is not enough information to help you with coral recommendations. Here is a quick list of info that will help people provide you with some recommendations:

1- Wattage
2- Brand of Light
3- Color temperature (This is the Kelvin rating of the light. Usually between 6500K-20000K for daylight bulbs. Actinics are measured differently)
4- Exact height of the tank in inches
5- What methods of filtration are you using (examples: protein skimmer, GAC, etc).

Basically the more details about your system the better :)

Regarding the seahorses, they are not something I would recommend for someone new to the hobby because water parameters are important for keeping them healthy and they demand a lot of time especially for feeding. They need to be fed at least twice a day. Another consideration is water temperature. If you want long term success I think it is best to keep the water at a max 75 degrees (some do better at max 70). This may require you to take steps to keep the water cool such as getting a chiller.

Sorry if I confused you more but if you want to go about this the right way as you mentioned above you'll need to get as detailed as possible. :wink1:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
few add on's to what dom said, what do you plan to use for flow ? what type of filtration and turn over rate, what type of sh's do you plan to keep ? how knowledgable are you on seahorse's ? disease's as well. i actually like my sh tank better then my reef, kinda boring but very neat to watch, also no acans. do you plan to keep any other animals along with these ?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a couple of you have been sending me to seahorse.org and if you have reading my other post in "new here"under general discussing you will see that i am already a member of seahorse.org and have been for a couple of years now under the user name of mike2350, as of now i have printed out what ever seahorse .org has in their library on seahorses and have read though it a couple dozen times so far, i also have read though a couple dozen times the book on seahores from tfh publications.
everyone has told me to be as specific as i can on this setup so here you go, according to the lfs were i got this tank it is a 20 high the diamensions are 13 inches wide, 24 inches long, and 16 inches deep, i am using a marinland biowheel 150 power filter, a perfecto deluxe full hood with an 18 inch freshwater grow bulb right now, planing to switch out to a allglass top and a coralife 50/50 bulb (15watt 18 inch t8 50% 6000 degree k natural daylight 50% actinic 03 blue) sub heater, i am keeping the temp at 74 degrees, 8 lb of live rock(i know this is not enough and will be adding more shortly), carib sea sand substright with the black specks in it, reef crystals salt mix, i have one blue dasmel ( which will be switched out before i get the seahorses, it just in there to start bactera growth), red sea hydrometer, 1 red plant not sure what it is, 1 red mushroom coral frag i think, 1 nassarius snail, 1 collonista snail( how many more snails should i get for this size tank and what kind?), chemicals i use are kent marine liqiud calcuim, and ammonia detox, sea chem 8.3 buffer for ph?, and reef builder, carib sea purple up, and marine snow plant food?, medicne i have is sea chem para guard, and api melafix(what else should i get in this section?), text kits are api calcuim,ammonia, no3 nitrate, no2 nitrite, high range ph, and use saltwater biozyme.
things i will be adding slowly are equipment wise continous hatch and feed brine shrimp hacther, what does every one think of the red sea berlin airlift 90 skimmer?, so of you have told me to hermit crabs in here as i stated in my last post in general discussion i said that seahorse. org said not to put hermit crabs in or very few according to them 1 per 10 gallons.
every one has told to be careful as to what i put in here for coral wise with sea horses here is a list of what sea horse.org says is safe and not safe these are rated on a 0 to 4 threat risk were 0 is no risk and 4 is exterme risk, most if what i am listing is going to be a 0 or 1 on threat list.
the 0 chooses are for sponges the spiny sponge and blue sponge, fan worms are common feather duster, christmas tree worm, and dwraf duster, sea fans and gorgonians are sea stalk, red sea fan, soft corals are christmas tree coral, toad stool mushroom, speckled leather,kenya tree, fiji leather,colt coral,carnation coral, cabbage leather,and thye spaghetti leather, sea stars are the orange sea star, the sand sifting star,and the blue sea star,polyps are clove polyp, zoas, polys, anthelia, pipe organ, yellow polyps, xeia, green star polyp, and the sponge polyp, mushrooms are the florida rice, common mushroom, yuma, and the hairy mushroom,lps are maze brain, and the sun coral,shrimp are the sexy shrimp, harlequin shrimp, and the bumble bee shrimp.
the 1 treat level chooses are cucumbers is the tiger tail cuke, lps are lobophyllia, cup/pagoda coral, fox coral, acantha strea, sea slugs are the lettuce nudi, purple nudi, and the sea hare, shrimp are the peppermint shrimp, pistol shrimp, tiger shrimp, saron shrimp, camel shrimp, and pipe fish.
out of what i have listed i am thinking about going with the following a blue sponge, feather duster, tiger tail cuke, red sea fan, kenya tree? , clove polyp?, sun coral?, fox coral?, sea hare, and a peppermint shrimp.

if any one has any other ideas other then what i have just listed please let me know what i should add or remove based on this tank size,light ideas for what is listed, medicne i need to get , test kits i need, and what every else you may think of.
thanks in advance
mike 2670

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: