CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
EVERBODY IS THROWING BAD ADVICE AT YOU!!!! Except Awibrandy And Tosiek.
You will never get rid of it without understanding it. There is no quick fix!!!!

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
I was a new reefer and understand the eagerness to just want an immediate response. Good community in the sense that everybody gave their input/experience. Everybody has different methods that work/certain ways of doing things (duh...but we must be reminded).

I used Aiptasia X (back then a relatively new product) and Peppermint shrimp. The Aiptasia X gets rid of Majanos and Aiptasia. The methodology remains the same: clog the mouth so nothing is released and have the pest implode. The trick is you have to use Aiptasia X properly and in generous amounts. I've used it on my tank and two other friends' tanks (who were reluctant might I add) and it worked like a charm.

The key to this is to make sure the mouth is fully covered and that the approach is slow so the Aiptasia doesn't recede/release spores.

Peppermint shrimp can get pricey and are hit or miss. Granted, I had 5 in my 54 Gallon Corner tank. The peppermint shrimp didn't get rid of the big colonies off the bat until I used the Aiptasia X and they were used to get rid of any minuscule spores that I couldn't reach. Too bad, my royal gramma ate the shrimp.

Also, when people ask for updates please provide them. We are excited to see the results. :)

Last edited:

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I would not buy peppermint shrimp!!!!

I have had peppermints eat corals!
I would get a copper banded butterfly fish(Ive never had one last longer than my aptasia. They are very difficult to feed(b/c they generally wont eat anything that isnt growing/living inside the tank), but they are excellent at eating aptaisia(which will come back after the fish is gone).

topmav1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Have some Aiptasia as well. Squirted with boiling water but didnt work. Used Vinegar Saturday and it seemed to kill a couple. There a few which are in difficult spots so its tough to get a direct shot at them. I read a few things online and tried the vinegar method cause it seemed the easiest...Had no idea they can release spores...but guess its too late now...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: