johnvic

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I had posted a question about using a 100 micron filter pad in the center rear section of my solana and got some advice. So this is what I did.

I removed the last 2 bio-ball bags. I only have 2 fish and a good amount of LR so I am not worried that removing them will remove a large percentage of my biological filtration.

I placed the chemi-pure elite bag flat on the bottom of the chamber, above the bottom plate of course. I placed a small bag of purigen on top of that. I then placed a piece of filter floss ( not the 100 micron pad ) on top of that. On the top of the top plate I placed a piece of the blue bonded filter pad material that I got from Drs. Foster & Smith.

Is this the correct placement? The water flow seems slower but I am keeping an eye on it today. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
To each their own. In chamber 1 I have my skimmer. In chanber 2 I have Cheato on the bottom and on top of that I have a bag of Chemipure elite. On top of the chemipure I have a small piece of poly filter. From time to time I also put in algone.

johnvic

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I also have the skimmer in chamber 1, it is the stock skimmer and has some bio-balls in the column that water goes through to get to chamber 2. But otherwise all bio-balls are gone. So far the chemi-pure/purigen/filter floss/blue pad have not restricted the flow too much. The water looks nice and clear! But I am monitoring to make sure it won't cause a water backup in the 2nd chamber. That would not be fun if it happened when I go back to work tomorrow.

My next change to the tank is replacing the stock skimmer with a sapphire aquatics skimmer. I may take some spl measurements before and after the change to see how much quieter it is.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: