nyfynest22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey everyone im getting a 220 gallon tank soon. i live in long island , ny and was wondering if there is a company out here that would make the holes for me?! need them to be 100% carefull and legit. please anyone that knows of anyone in li please let me know thanks!

N

nycoralguy

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
If you never drilled a tank, don't do it on your 200+gal tank, and the drill and bits would cost you a fortune. the place you buy the tank should be able to order it drilled, or buy it w/ a built in overflow. If you insist on drilling your self, on such a big tank, the bottem should be temepered. Find out w/ the manufacture.

darkdrako

Looks mean doesn't she!?
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The size of the tank doesn't matter and like sharkbait said its easy to do it yourself. A diamond coated holesaw should only run you $15 or $20 a piece for up to 3". Just be aware that you cannot drill a tempered pane of glass with those same bits. You need to plan where you want the holes.

I drilled (1) 1.5" and (2) 3/4" holes for my overflow and return and there is nothing really involved. Just take your time.

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
If you never drilled a tank, don't do it on your 200+gal tank, and the drill and bits would cost you a fortune. the place you buy the tank should be able to order it drilled, or buy it w/ a built in overflow. If you insist on drilling your self, on such a big tank, the bottem should be temepered. Find out w/ the manufacture.

drill the back of the tank not the bottom. Use glass holes over flow box they complete the drilled tank look.
the drill ??? a cordless drill with the clutch on 5-6 plenty of water to cool the glass and bit. and the bit??? no more then 15 off ebay. I use a seller out of Hong Kong. His bit kick a$$ and they are cheap. he?s a fast shipper and good, not a thief. They are cheap bits and I get a lot of tanks and holes out of one bit.
Don't throw fear in anyone?s head about a DIY project:shhh:, maybe urge caution, like don?t rush the drill bit or push on the drill, let the drill bit do the work. Words like that . Try encouraging people to do things.
Drilling is not hard, it is fun, and it gives a lot of the first time DIY encouragement to try other DIY projects.
Have fun, enjoy the hobby and make the tank truly their own.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
im all for encouraging DIY projects, but it's kind of ballsy to make your first attempt at drilling a tank a brand new 200gal...there are much cheaper ways to learn.

caad3

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I would have to agree

im all for encouraging DIY projects, but it's kind of ballsy to make your first attempt at drilling a tank a brand new 200gal...there are much cheaper ways to learn.

I'm all for diy, but 200+ gallons of water is not something to take lightly... if you have not received the tank and have the option, buy the reef ready version. Will save you time/ and pain in the end.

darkdrako

Looks mean doesn't she!?
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
You can find a place that does glass cutting and ask for some scraps of the same thickness if you want to try it out. How thick is the glass on a 200+ tank? My 75 has 3/8" glass and I wasn't worried at all of breaking it while cutting the whole. From this point on, all of my future tanks will be drilled by myself (as long as they are not tempered!).

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0

true, i can't and wont argue that.

i found and old window and figured out the amount of pressure to put on a the drill. sure i broke a couple of panels since was thin window glass but i did get it.
IMHO the thicker the glass the easier it is.

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: