Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I use a toothbrush to remove it at night and the use of a good protein skimmer works for me.I always make sure i'm getting full performance out of my skimmer.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
How long has your system been running?
How long have you been having the problem with red slime?
Do you have other types of nuisance algae?
What animals do you have?
What do you feed, how often, how much?
What type of water did you use to set up, and for water changes & top off?
Please tell us more about your system, example: size of tank, sump, canister filter, lighting, water motion................
As well as parameters please...

bartmalave

"Starting Over"
Vendor
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
tank details

1.how long tank running? 6 months. 2.how long red slime problem? 1.5 weeks. 3.have u any other nuisance alge problem? no. 4.what animal do i have? 2antias,2chronis,1 percura,1-6line wrasse,2 pesudo wrasse??,1claner shrinp,1scarlet shrimp,some hermit crabs,some snails 5.what do i feed and how often? brime shrimp 1 in morning 1 night 6.what type of water 4 set up,water change, top off? tap,tap,tap 7. system info-55 gal.,fluba canister filter, t5 lites, 2 korolia 2, 1 aqua clear 5, 1 skimmer. 8. parameters ph7.8 noticed it low this morning, ammonia 0, nitrate 0, nitrite o, calcium need to chek. plus assorted coral

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Cut back on your feeding, that introduces excess phosphates into the tank. Clean that Canister filter out at least once every 2 weeks, Run a phosphate filter of some sort, they are really cheap and will help with part of your problem.

Stop using tap water, that introduces a ton of bad stuff to your tank. If you don't have the room or the money for an RO/DI water filter you can always try to use distilled water but on a big tank that can get very expensive. Tap water is bad.

What test kits are you using and what is your phosphate reading also what are your mg and alk readings in addition to your calcium?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Tap water can be VERY bad depending on your local water supply! We prefer RO/DI filtration to ensure the best water quality we can provide.;)
Brine shrimp unless just hatched, or soaked in vitamins are just junk food.
Feed less or up your filtration, and water changes. I prefer the latter.:) I like to feed my animals daily....;)
We also do not recommend canister filter, we much more prefer sumps.:) But you can have the canister just more work involved since you have to clean them at the very least weekly, and if you have sponges or the ceramic noodles get rid of those.

What type of test kits do you have, and what is the experation date on them?
With all your parameters being at 0 you should not have any algae, more precisely slime algae.. Something is not right.
Testing for phosphates unless you have a Hanna meter or one of equal value, or a buddy with one would be a waste of time. None of the less expensive phos. test kits will give correct readings.

PH readings during lights off, or shortly after they come on are less then when lights have been running for a little while. Re-check the PH before you try to raise it.:) Always double check any reading that is off before attempting any adjustments.

Last edited:

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Canister filters are fine so long as they are cleaned out frequently so they do not become nitrate factories. I ran a Can until I switched to my Nano tanks because the filtration is built in. You just need to get all the crud out every 2 weeks or depending on your livestock week.

thesauce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
This should cover everything:

1.) Nutrients!!! Find an export (macro algae, skimmer etc) and/or watch your feeding.
2.) Water quality. RO/DI for everything and replace your RO/DI filters appropriately. Get quality filters that will get silicates and TDS
3.) Lights - Make sure your flourescents aren't too old, your cycle isn't too long etc.
4.) Flow - Cyano hates turbulent water
5.) Buff your clean up crew
6.) UV sterilizer...this actually worked wonders for me
7.) Phosban or some other media in the sump
8.) Step up water changes
9.) Manual removal via siphon

Heres one trick that seems to really help: do a 'tank cleaning' (siphon and small water change). Then go lights out for a day or two. Then do another small water change. Remember that when cyano dies in the tank it just releases all of that junk back into the water column that will just spur more cyano. Good luck, be persistent and you will get it under control.

bartmalave

"Starting Over"
Vendor
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
every one thank u for the input will do as suggested, looking for rodi as we speak, sump refu going on in january dont want mess for holidays

bizarrecorals

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have either phosphate or nitrate in your tank, try your best to remove that w/ either plants, R.O. Unit, or filtermedias. IMO, I wouldnt reduce feeding unless your feeding over 2 times a day. If you want to change your water, make sure the new is phosphate free. Hope this helps you out

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: