jcolon2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Hello Everyone! I am new to the hobby. I have had freshwater tanks in the past however; this is my first saltwater tank. I have done a lot of research in the process.

I purchased for 40 dollars a tank setup however, the tank is only 20 gallons (I purchased it via craigslist). It is a 20 gallon high tank, with an oak stand. The tank has a Bak Pak 2 protein skimmer, a Whisperer EX 30 filter, an air filter with the air stone attached, and 20 lbs of live rock for filtration.

I have actinic lighting (although, I am embarrassed to say how little wattage I have). : /

Inside the tank I also have a 100w tetra fin heater, a mini hydrometer, a thermoter (which always has a reading of 78 degrees), approx. 1.5 inches of live sand, and instant ocean salt (current level at 1.023). I initially used tap water and dechlorinated it. Since then, I have been performing a 10 percent water change (2 gallons) every Wednesday with bottled water.

The nitrates, nitrtites and ammonia are perfect. The tank cycled for one month before I purchased my first fish. I allow all the specimens to properly acclimate.

I purchased a false percula clown. I then purchased a pulsing xenia frag (which is growing very fast), 3 lunar eclipse zoo polyps (they are doing well), a spider vein paly (which is losing some of the green color), an orange eye chalice (which I hate to say is doing poorly) and 4 acan heads (which are doing well). Every morning I give them Kent marine purple tech. My rock now has coraline growing nicely on it.

I purchased about two weeks later, a female mandarin dragonette. Since I purchased her I have introduced approx. over 7,000 copepods (although, I believe most have been depleted) and 40,000 rotifers. Currently, I am breeding the copepods in a tiny refugium. I feed them phytoplankton every few days. Every once in while, I hatch brine shrimp to feed to the fish. Approx. two weeks later I introduced a clean-up crew of 15 blue-legged hermit crabs, 5 snails, and a large skunk cleaner shrimp. At the same time, I purchased a beautiful Dwarf Flame Angelfish. All the specimens get along well.

Although, I have only had the tank for two months I am looking to upgrade to a 40 gallon tank. I would like to give the fish more room.

Does anyone have any ideas about a possible setup? Although, I love the Solana system, I am on a very small budget (I am a college student attending Fordham, Lincoln Center). I was thinking of purchasing a 40 gallon-high tank and stand setup with a power compact light ballast. I was then going to use the 20 gallon tank I currently own to create a sump. When I purchase the tank and light setup I then want to purchase a crocea clam and more corals.

Also, if anyone is selling a tank please let me know. I am located in West Babylon, Long Island. Thanks in advance. I am also thinking of attending the frag swap!

Justin

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 229
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Welcome to MR Justin!

I hate having to be the bearer of bad news, but in the interest of the health of the animals I will.
Glad that you are breading, and raising your own pods. Because that dragonet can, and will eat thousand of them per day. It is not recommended to keep them in smaller tanks because of the impossibility of having enough food for them.
Although some people have been blessed with dragonets that have taken to eating frozen food.;)
You also have to look at what cause of the red slime algae that is begining form may be.

Last edited:

jcolon2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Hello. Thanks for the response.

I am aware of the situation common amongst dragonettes. I do not want any of the livestock to die, I would be bothered by that, nor do I intend to let any of them die. I am ordering more pods, and hopefully upgrading to a 40 gallon tank will help even more.

As for the dragonette, I have been fairly lucky. The first day I purchased her she was already eating pods. From what I have observed in my tank, she eats brine shrimp. I hope to wean her onto frozen foods. Perhaps, I will just purchase the refrigerated arcti pods.

As for the slime, it appears that way in the pictures. However, when I look at the live rock it doesn't appear to be slime at all. But I will look into that further. Honestly, it didn't cross my mind. Thanks for pointing that out.

My main concern as of now, is the coral. I am in need of a lighting system very badly. That is why I want to upgrade to the 40. I would like to invest in a light system, preferably power compacts.

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I purchase Tigger Pods every couple of months for my 155 reef. I turn off all the pumps & power heads to allow the pods to find their little hiding places without them being dumped down into the sump.:)
Watch the Flame angel with your corals. They are known to eat corals.:(
I was actually talking about the thin layer of what appears to be red slime on the sand in some of the pics.:)

jcolon2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Thank you. Yes, my flame angel has pretty much destroyed my orange eye chalice : / Everything else, he doesn't bother. The slime on the sand was algae, I spoke to a reefer about that. It began when I introduced the actinic lighting however; it is dissipating, thankfully. I am struggling to find a 40 gallon high tank though : /

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: