johnsonlee42

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Hi all,

So I am planning to make an upgrade to my tank next year, and could definitely use some advice. Right now I have a 12 gallon eclipse - it's an okay tank, but I definitely want to make some upgrades (bigger tank, more light, skimmer, overflow and sump) that would be a bit difficult to do with what I have. Additionally, I think I am over acrylic - it's gotten some serious scratches just when snails decide to take freefalls off the side of the tank. :irked:

The space that I have is tricky - It can only be up to 26" wide (I'm thinking 24" so I can accomodate common lighting systems), and 13" deep (from the front of the tank/stand to the wall). I've looked into a few pre-made options but haven't one in particular that is to my liking (though let me know if any of you guys know of a good system in this size that I haven't found). I do want to set this up with an overflow and sump, so that complicates things a bit more for a tank of this size (I am a relative novice in the area). Obviously, I'll also need a stand that makes sense, and I want the tank to be starphire glass. I actually did find this aquarium on Amazon (sold through Petstore.com) which fits my dimensions pretty well, and I would probably go for it despite the lack of a built in overflow - if it wasn't acrylic? http://bit.ly/5Ef1Ym

I have started to reach out to custom aquarium manufacturers just out of curiosity - the one that has been the most responsive has been Coast to Coast Aquariums. Have any of you guys had experience with this aquarium vendor before? They seem to know their stuff and have been very accomodating... the quote they gave me is kind of high (actually it's really high for an aquarium of this size), but if the aquarium is right, maybe it's worth it? Not sure about this right now, and I do want to absorb the experience that you guys have! :splitspin

Any advice that you guys could offer would be tremendously appreciated!

Johnson

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Custom aquariums no matter the size are going to seem expensive. But your looking at a hand built system vs a factory run tank/stand from companies like aga. You should expect paying 15-30% more for the custom tank vs what you can buy in a store prebuilt.

If you want to save some $$, you can buy a custom tank from glass cages, and find someone local to build you a stand thats going to be better quality and cheaper than what glass cages or any other custom tank company will offer. GC is great for low priced good custom tanks. Call them and talk to them, they might have one on the shelf laying around roughtly the size your looking for they will give at a great price. I called before looking for a 30g tank and they offered a full starfire no overflow tank at half priced they had that they built but the guy never picked up.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: