goosey

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the sun low in the sky it now illuminates part of my tank in the morning around 10am-12noon (it does not do this in summer). My light comes on @10:30, and normally all the LPS, mushrooms, zoas are wide open by 11am.

But now the part where the sun hits the tank (after the lights are on) they are all still closed up or just slightly out, and don't open up fully until after the sun stops hitting the tank. And where the sun does not shine on it, all is normal.

I can't move the tank but I am assuming if this effect lasts for another 2-3 months or so, they will not suffer? They go back to normal in the afternoon when the sun goes away.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Natural light coming in through a window and then through the tank is not really all that powerful.
Try hanging something over the window for a week or so that completely darkens the sunlight and see how the corals respond.

Is it possible that the bulbs on the side of the tank where the corals are reacting differently is either near the end of it's usefull life or perhaps the bulbs or shoeld has salt creep on it?

goosey

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, the bulbs are relatively new ~3 months old and the fixture is clean. It only happens in the area where the wedge of sunlight hits it, and when that wedge goes away by early afternoon all is normal. The sunlight is more yellow than the tank light, I am wondering if they are just responding negatively to the different color light spectrum. I agree, the sunlight is not that bright compared to the tank lights--just yellower.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: