ychan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
113   0   0
Noticed the new pre-sale for Pacific sun LED BT EX. For 4" 125g tank, how many modules should I use? Also 90 W vs 120 W?? Is 120 W LED similar to 250w Halide?? What is the benefit of Master&Slave? Should I get two masters just in case of future down sizing? Any suggestion from the current owner???

chanman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
did you read their group buy thread?(click Aloha Tropics in vendor classifieds) It has more information than the recent post. I would like to know about the master/slave units as well.

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Hi Ychan,

The Master and Slave unit make it easier to control the lights all together. It also saves on price. Bluetooth commands will be sent to the Master unit and the slave unit will mirror the command.

The important factor on choosing between 120W or 90W is tank depth. Both units have the same spread (about 36" by 30" if you want to push the max). So the power difference is to reach deeper depths. It also depends on what corals you plan to keep. For tanks 24" deep and more, we recommend using 120W units.

azazel

electronics designer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each lamp series BT-EX has a special built-in dedicated computer (Ligth Area Computer) that can support advanced light. Lamp is programmed wirelessly using a special application (via BlueTooth interface). This model have external, waterproof power supply with safe, 24V DC output.
Newest model is using 2pcs 120mm fans(17db) with double bearings. Their speed is auto controlled by build in temperature sensor - so in some situations they can be turned off - a specially when lamp dont need active cooling(night mode with moonlight, sunrise/sunset period etc).
This model have build on 3 kind of LED chips - 420nm, 450nm and white 14.000K

- Natural Sunlight Simulation - lamp is able to simulate cloudy and sunny days - when using this option, the lamp simulates the effect of temporary cloudiness - as is the nature. For the summer season the days are longer and brighter, for the winter season - shorter and somewhat darker light(in the future the computer will be able to wirelessly control the heating in the tank, so that in summer the temperature in the tank will be higher in the winter - lower)

With this computer you can set:
- date/time
- setting turn on/off time, dimming time
- total brightness setting - for ex. for coral acclimation
- setting brightness for moonlight
- colour temperature changing - between 14.000K-25.000K
- Set the time sunrise and sunset times from 1minute up to 60 minutes
- simulating the lunar illumination (28 days full period), Natural Sunlight Simulation, Overcast Days Simulation
- changing brightness during the ligth period - like on nature, where insolation depend of hour. For the whole cycle of lighting, you can define up to 40 individual points of which is set by the brightness of the lamp, This gives the opportunity to simulate the lighting just like in nature.

Last edited:

ychan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
113   0   0
Thanks for the info. I know LED can last for more than 5 years. After ~5 years, can I replace the new LED bulbs or I need to wait for the next "group buy" to get a new LED lighting system. Is color shift/"old bulb syndrome" affect LED more or Halide?

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
No there are no Stock Legs included. The units are meant to be hung. Because these are modular units that are only around 17" x 10", they really aren't meant to sit on mounting legs. The legs would have to be huge for these units to sit safely on them.

There is a guy that is building custom stands for these units. You can ask the member Will C, I believe he has the info.

azazel

electronics designer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifetime of led's is prognosed for 50.000 hrs of continuos work, then they lower its brightness to 70% but still works. Due to construction of lamp, there is no problem with replace every single led chip. If after 3 years of work, some leds will need to be replaced (I thik its not possible so soon, but "if"), it can be done very easy - 3 years from now - maybe with new, cheap and much better leds.

azazel

electronics designer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think, you didn't understand me. 50.000 hrs its almost 6 Years of continous work, whole day and night with 100% power during almost 6 years.
I stated 3 years (a half of this period) continous work as a "worst case" - witch is just impossible to be so short, but IF, IF after 3 years a single led will need to be replaced, it will be replaced with newer, cheaper, better led.

Look at progress in led-lighting technology. What they get till 2012? What will be the price "today's leds" in 2012 - 1/4, 1/8 of current price ?

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
No I think Azazel was saying that the individual LED's can be easily replaced. The replacement on that actual LED bulbs won't cost that much. I think each individual bulb may be just a few dollars to replace. The UVA may be a little more. But remember the PCB Board and the LEDs are warranty covered for 3 years. Also, LED technology is advancing so in 5 years, there will probably be even better bulbs on the market to replace with at the same low price. This is all speculation, I mean, we're talking about 5 years down the line.

azazel

electronics designer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one more important thing. Pacific Sun Leds are selected for PAR output - not for human eye. Look at this picture:

Plant-Human-Eye-Response_01.jpg

This is the best light power spectrum for photosyntetic organisms like plants and corals. Corals don't need the red part of light, because in natural red light don't reach into the deep of water where coral lives (in most cases). So ONLY the Red and Blue parts of light power, makes PAR (Photosyntetic Active Radiation). In our case its the blue color only - there is no "red part" in Pacific Sun leds.

But, for humans blue and red seems to be dark:

Plant-Human-Eye-Response_02.jpg

As you see, human eye has the best response for yellow-green light. There is almost NO such color in Pacific SUN Led power spectrum, so leds may be for us darker than Metal-Halide or some T5, but not for corals. Corals "will be happy" with this light.

According to this, when you changing your light form T5 or MH to Leds, it is Very Important to let corals to adapt. Just start your lamps with 70-80% of power, and slow, day by day, "turning up" to 100%

Last edited:

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I think, you didn't understand me. 50.000 hrs its almost 6 Years of continous work, whole day and night with 100% power during almost 6 years.
I stated 3 years (a half of this period) continous work as a "worst case" - witch is just impossible to be so short, but IF, IF after 3 years a single led will need to be replaced, it will be replaced with newer, cheaper, better led.

Thanks for the clarification. I was about to say there is no extended cost savings with my confusion LOL But now this makes more sense.

ychan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
113   0   0
.... to replace. The UVA may be a little more. But remember the PCB Board and the LEDs are ...

For the new model, I know there are 4 types of LED: 420nm, 460nm, White 14000k and UVA. Why "UVA" ???? What is the benefit of UVA for corals. If my tank is in my bedroom, is it safe to use UVA near my bed since UVA links to skin cancer and can "burn" your eye. And consider it will be on for ~8 hours per day ????? :irked: "I rather have healthy skin than healthy coral!!!

Any safety testing done for the UVA led for this model???

Last edited:

azazel

electronics designer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry. There is only ONE led bulb in all fixture with UVA. It produces very small amount of UVA. If you have T5 - 24W it produces much more UVA than 2 x120W Pacific SUN fixtures.

If you don't belive me - do an experiment. Take a plastic cable strip :
FX.jpg

it is important to take white one, because white is not UV resistant, and bend it on T5 bulb. Leave it for 3-4 months and you will see - it will fall into pieces in your hands.
Do you think T5 light is dangerous to your health? I think you don't ;)

ychan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
113   0   0
Uv !

No wonder I got so many wrinkle and age spot over my head and face with my T5. I needs to wear sun block and a hat to watch my corals now !! :tongue1:

There must be some good reasons for pacific sun to put only just "one UVA led "on their light fixture. (Hmm.. maybe a massive killing plan!! lol..)

Seriously, any good study of the benefit of UVA for sps or other types of coral. Really interest to read one. HQI halides give last amount of UV radiation, but all the fixture come with UV graded shielding glass. Maybe I should take the glass off. Just kidding!!

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: