Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
What is this and how does it affect my tank?

It grows very quickly and makes for great nutrient export, but recently someone mentioned it could be sucking up calcium.

I use two part and calc / PH good.

Just wondering what other problems this could cause me.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 82

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Grape Caulerpa, and it is not calcareous, so it will not suck up any notable amount of calcium. It will however, grow quickly and is hard to remove. There is also a chance with any caulerpa of it "going sexual" and making a bit of a mess in the tank.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I used to have it in my tank. If you prune it regularly, it can be a nice addition. I'm not sure exactly where it is, but there's an article on properly pruning it somewhere (try google). You basically want to squeeze the stem between your fingers to avoid stressing it.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
It doesn't absorb calcium, but it can grow to a point where its everywhere. You have to make sure you prune it because if nutrient levels get too low, it goes sexual. You can tell its going sexual because the stems start becoming semi transparent, and after that, it releases it into the water turning your tank water very cloudy (this happens as fast as overnight). I never heard anything about pruning it properly, I just yank it out

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Ive caught it going sexual, the green becomes more splotchy and eventually goes away.

But I caught it. Hope this doesnt happen a lot.

Recently started running phosban in a reactor. Hopefully this keeps it from blooming again, and Im going to keep it under control.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
i think it is illegal to have that stuff in Cali as if it gets into the ocean it goes nuts and crowds out native species. just be sure to freeze it before you throw it away.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: