Jimm0425

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is my first post to MR and as seems the norm the first post is about a percieved threat to my tank. I have a 180 gal with a 50g sump,150lb LR, 70lb live sand aqua-c 120 skimmer, uv, 12 or so fish, 3 shrimp and assorted snails and hcrabs for clean up. I aquired the 5 year old established tank fully set up from a coworker and have had it running for about a month now. Parameters are good, 77 deg, 1.023sp, 8.3 pH, 12dkh, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, <2 nitrates, <1 phos, 475 cal.

I noted this anemone, I think it's a strawberry anemone right after set up and it seems to be spreading everywhere. Biggest is about 1/2" in diameter pink body, clear 1/2 - 3/4" tentacles with white bubble tips. Probaly close to 50 in number and growing. Nothing seems to bother them including copperband who is always hungry.

The other thing is this white mass, which is now about 3/8" in diameter and I noted three additional this afternoon.

If you have any info that can help me out that would be appreciated.

Attachments

• strawberry anenome.jpg
    strawberry anenome.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 205
  • white anenome.jpg
    white anenome.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 208

Jimm0425

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But when they show up everywhere? I'm looking to put in some softies and everywhere I look there seems to be one within arms reach.

I did a ton of google searches and things point to the strawberrys, but I gotta tell you they do seem to want to take a firm hand hold and I'm not totally comfortable with that.

Jimm0425

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was and still am thinking maybe majano, but every photo I've seen so far doesn't really look similar. They sit flush with almost no foot. The strawberry does has a carribean relative that can be at the warmer temps. But you're right, the cool/cold water one won't thrive in my tank.

As a preemptive, the bulk of the critters were concentrated to some branch LR wich I have removed and washed with freshwater and stiff brush. I will let dry then start cycling/curing again.

I was starting to kalk them but it seems my slurry was to weak. Tonight I'll start hitting them harder.

yiliyang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My reef tank is 4 years and counting. I had the same anemone before, it is not harmful. I have never seen those sting a coral or fish. They seem to all disappeared after a few month, I did not see anything eat those, yet they were all gone. I would not worry about those anemones too much. The 2nd one is just a sponge, it is a sign that your tank is healthy.

Good luck to you.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
jason18 said:
I had a lot of majanoes and they look more like aiptasia, That almost looks like the being of a hairy mushroom did you cut some out of that area?

Majanos don't really look anything like aptasia IMO. If anything the could look like baby rics or yumas or something like that...

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Jimm0425

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any mushrooms, can't say for sure about the previous tank owner. But they said that they had gotten away from corals some time ago and all that came witht the tank were some polyps and a kenya tree.

From my research the majanos and aiptasia are different in that they have a foot. My anemones are flat to the surface.

I'm debating about going through the eraditcation, but if maybe they will run thier course I may give it a shot.

I really appreciate the input.

thesauce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
send a message asking for ID to wetwebmedia. They are awesome. I've never seen a red majano. How much extension do the have? Is it possible that they are yuma's?

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Those are neither aptasia nor mojanos. Nor are they strawberry nems, if they're living in your reef tank. I can't remember what they are, but I think the genus starts with C, and they're desireable, or at least not undesireable. And I don't think they're anemones, either; they're closer to zoanthids, spreading in the same sort of way. They're non-photosynthetic.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: