Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hello out there to all my MR reefing addicts!!!! How are yall doing? Once again my Reef tank project has changed. Some of you may remember when I first joined MR that I wanted to start with a 10gal nano tank then it went to a 30 Long.... Well after careful deligation with my Boss (aka my wife) I have reached my final tank size.... A 40gal Breeder.... ( music plays) Dun Dun Dun... now that I have finally chosen where I want to start... I feel that its time to ask.. To sump or not to sump? Now my main goal here is to have a tank that can house most coral and a few fish... only 3 or 4 fish no more than that. I have toyed with the idea of building a sump for over a month now and was set on building one until a buddy that I have made at a local salt water shop sugested a much cheaper solution energy and supplies wise. He sugested that I get an Aquaclear 70 filter and use purigen in it, plus 3 or 4 powerheads in the tank. Now I know there are a thousand ways to set up a reef tank and everyone thinks their way is the best. So here's my question.... Sump Or Not? The only reason I didnt blow this idea off is because instead of trying to sell me a 300 dollar sump and a 400 dollar skimmer he sugested this idea to me which blew me away instead of trying to make a quick buck he actually talked me out of spending a ton of money in his store. So tell me what yall think.. I'm looking forward to the comments on this one.... let the games begin!!!!

Your friendly neighborhood LI Redneck

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
sump/fuge it give u alot more option with ur tank for one when a fish gets too crazy u can throw him in the fuge and give alot more option as far equipment and give u a few option to filter ur tank as far as live plat lr/ls minereal ect

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
y u would buy a sump for 300 they sell them used on here for like 50 bucks give or take on here check the for sale forum

I know I can buy a sump on here for cheap. I was just simply stating that instead of trying to get me to buy a premade sump with all the "bells and whistles" in the store he oppted to tell me about the idea i mentioned above.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
+1 sump

Especially if you are starting out. It gives you more options down the road.
I love the breeder tanks for floor space. I would even go so far as to drill the back instead of an overflow box.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
The biggest reason to run a sump on a tank that size is so you can hide most of the equipment. If you are comfortable designing the system around the equipment inside the tank, there is no real husbandry reason not to go sumpless. There are plenty of hang-on the tank skimmers etc, to run the system just fine. I've run full blown SPS dominated reefs this way several times. If you do go the sumpless route, I would recommend using a surface skimming box for the protein skimmer as gunk does tend to accumulate on the water surface. To me, on smaller systems the benefits of sumps are negligable when balanced out by the increased risks ( overflows) and the need for a return pump. remember all the plug and play nano systems are sumpless and they work just fine.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
All HOB components have return pumps to.
If you don't drill the tank then you would need an overflow box and I do not prefer those.

With better HOB skimmers it is easier to go sumpless. To me the aesthitic reasons of a sump guide my decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: