nyfynest22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OK I DRILLED MY SUMP FOR A 2INCH BULK HEAD PIPED everything started to fill the sump just to let it sit and make sure all seals were good i notice a problem that the bulk head was leaking now keep in mind i tighten it good and gorilla glued the seal so to get it off the sump would be a huge i mean huge risk on cracking the sump, so i install the bulk head as follows the seal or o ring is on the inside of the sump and just the lock nut is on the outside is this correct? i heard of it being both ways. well i bought some sealent to try to stop the leak nothing is filled yet not the tank or anything what should i do before i do get all this in there and then becomes a huge problem any help would be great~!!!

Last edited:

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
The seal {aka the ruber} has 2 sides one side is flat and the other has groves in it . The flat side goes facing the glass if you have it the other way it will leak. I had this problem when i drilled my tank.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I would not have glued the seal to the glass of the tank- the rubber is supposed to be directly against the glass with nothing between. there could maybe be channels where the gorilla glue does not seal perfectly then hardened and lets water through those channels possibly? Or could possibly that you overtightend it they say to hand tighten it only or else can warp the rubber.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I would not have glued the seal to the glass of the tank- the rubber is supposed to be directly against the glass with nothing between... Or could possibly that you overtightend it they say to hand tighten it only or else can warp the rubber.
+1...The glue ruined the seal, if you cannot remove and replace it, I would remove the outside nut, and fill the area between the bulkhead and glass with silicone, and replace nut

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
how much bigger was the hole you cut? sometimes if its not the right holesaw bit you have to much play in it were you get week spots that can cause leaks.
I would lfirst try to remove rubber seal and if not let it dry and silcone were the leak is but might be a problem later

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Never glue or silicone a bulkhead. If it is done properly there is no need for any additional adhesive.

If the bulkhead is a schedule 40 bulkhead, you should never use a tool to tighten it. Hand tighten is all that is needed.

If the bulkhead is a schedule 80 bulkhead, you can use a wrench to tighten it one last 1/64th - 1/32 of a turn after you've hand tightened it as much as you can.

The rubber gasket belongs on the inside and the lock nut belongs on the outside of the glass. The instruction to put the smooth side of the gasket against the glass is also correct.

At this point, if I were you, I'd take a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and cut off the bulkhead and start over from scratch. Once the bulkhead is off, use a new, flat razor blade to clean up the hole and surrounding glass to allow the new gasket and bulkhead to seat itself properly. After cleaning up with the razor blade, use some rubbing alcohol to clean any remaining residuals off the glass and prep it for the new bulkhead.

Good luck,
Russ

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Are you positive the oring is the correct size?
Also, if you tighten seals too much you can deform the seal. Teflon tape can be used to make sure your threads don't bind but it is not a sealant.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: