• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

32Bit_Fish

Can I keep clams in my tank?

20" tall tank

Sundial T-5 4x39w lighting fixture

There is one large flat rock sits at about 10" high in the tank. I can leave the clams on it.

I appreciate any comments.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
lower light loving clams, maybe, but the problem is these clams (like gigas, etc) grow very large and will eventually get too big for your tank. Possibly a crocea on the very top of the rocks if your water params are very good.

How old is your tank?

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
150   0   0
lower light loving clams, maybe, but the problem is these clams (like gigas, etc) grow very large and will eventually get too big for your tank. Possibly a crocea on the very top of the rocks if your water params are very good.

How old is your tank?

I think those smaller clams have better color. But you were saying they need strong lighting.

My tank is 5 weeks old and I am not getting any clams soon. Maybe in 6 month?

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Right. Those smaller, more colorful (probably maxima) clams really need more T5's and/or halides. I have an 18 inch deep tank with a 250 watt MH tank and will be able to keep a maxima just fine. Your lighting really isn't enough unless you add additional rock to the ten inch structure.

You also want to test for calcium levels and make sure your tank is stable enough. Definitely want to wait six months like you said.

Good luck.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you could keep a clam under that light, providing you had the clam up on the 10" rock you mentioned and you changed out the stock bulbs for higher PAR ones. i know a guy that kept clams under power compacts for years.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will replace the stock bulbs with ATI ones.

Get a small clam just to test out when the time is right.

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
Ok I would like to clear up this thread I have a deressa under 6 t-5 ho's and it is doing amazing. Rember clams are not only light but also cal. mag. and alk. you need to be dosing all three of then in order for them to thrive in your tank. you mag should be about 1300 cal is about 420 and mag is 8+. yes the lighting does matter but I have a 40 breeder and with the lighting I have it is doing great, maby you should start dosing and testing your warer also check for pyrmid snails.

Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
dont do it. your system is only 5 weeks old. i dont think even a crocea will survive that;) you should wait untill your system gets better.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
OOo and also small clams need to be fed once a day inorder for them to live. phyto plankton

This is not really the case. Unless you get an unusually small clam, it will be able to feed itself with proper lighting. I have yet to see a clam sold here or in an LFS that would require feeding.

If you're serious about getting a clam in 6 months, get this now and start reading:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0978619404/?tag=reefs04-20

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok I would like to clear up this thread I have a deressa under 6 t-5 ho's and it is doing amazing. Rember clams are not only light but also cal. mag. and alk. you need to be dosing all three of then in order for them to thrive in your tank. you mag should be about 1300 cal is about 420 and mag is 8+. yes the lighting does matter but I have a 40 breeder and with the lighting I have it is doing great, maby you should start dosing and testing your warer also check for pyrmid snails.

I have some pickling lime powder home and I can make some lime water to drip dose the tank.

What do you guys use to dose mag? Is it liquid mag in bottle?

DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
just wait til your tank is very stable..once its been up for a while..id say give it a few months..and all your levels are stable..start with a derasa..then if it lives for a few months..get a squamosa..and just go up the ladder..i love clams and right now i have a derasa, squamosa, and a maxima....im waiting another 1-2 months to see if a crocea will be ok..but take your time..PM me if you have any questions

bizarrecorals

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use t5 on most clams, but if the light is not intense enough, the clam will live, but will lose some extreme coloration.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to find out is buy one and dump it in my tank. :thrash:

in a few month.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
If you're serious about getting a clam in 6 months, get this now and start reading:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0978619404/?tag=reefs04-20

Please do get the book!! It is worth the money, very informative this way you will be better prepared for the clam.:)
Please do not start dosing your tank without testing before hand to see if infact you need to dose.:bablefish

BTW, having a clam a couple of months, or even a couple of years does not mean you are totally successfull in clam keeping.
I for one had 4 clams 3 years ago. Lost the first 1 within 2 weeks, the last one I lost a little under a month ago.;( Currently I only have the 3 year old Gold Teardrop left.:)
This is not ment to discourage you in any way, just making you aware of the facts.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: