73.1 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_2071.jpg
    IMG_2071.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 370

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Nice collection of zoa's...(Radio Active Dragon Eye's, Sun Burst, and the one's with the orange mouths may be Super Nova's or Solar's). If you wanted to know. Great loking tank. Look forward to seeing the progress!!

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Nice collection of zoa's...(Radio Active Dragon Eye's, Sun Burst, and the one's with the orange mouths may be Super Nova's or Solar's). If you wanted to know. Great loking tank. Look forward to seeing the progress!!

Wow, r u a zoo collector? I'm pretty new in this hobby. Thanks for the info. Do I have tooth coral on the top?

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I do fancy zoa's and there amazing color variations. So yes to some degree I collect zoa's. I try to collect the ones that I like. Sooo many out there, and it's a shame vendors aswell as some reefers, charge rates of $25-75.00 per polyp. I do not know if it's a tooth coral or my own tooth. But if it looks nice, why not get it even if you have to save up. I am also new to reefing.... but have been doing salt F/O for about 17yrs.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I do fancy zoa's and there amazing color variations. So yes to some degree I collect zoa's. I try to collect the ones that I like. Sooo many out there, and it's a shame vendors aswell as some reefers, charge rates of $25-75.00 per polyp. I do not know if it's a tooth coral or my own tooth. But if it looks nice, why not get it even if you have to save up. I am also new to reefing.... but have been doing salt F/O for about 17yrs.

I like zoas too. They have so many colors and most importantly they are hardy. BTW, the zoas in my tank are very small. How big can they normally get inch per polyp wise?

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
yes nice zoo's. what are you planning on doing, simple reef? sps tank. when you stock it up let us see! good luck

I like zoas, so I want to keep as many as I can. SPS? not sure my lighting is strong enough for them. I have T-5 4x39w fixture on a tank that is 20" tall.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
4.1 watts per gallon. thats not bad for some lps and so forth. you got the same amount as my bio cube and my lps are doing amazing and my sps are on top and open everyday no problem. i love zoo tanks though. so many colors and designs. good luck though!

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Zoa's tend to stay small and the colony will grow. They range in size from 1/8" - 1/4" in diameter like the size of a dime. Palys are larger and some can be found the size of quarters to half dollars. Good Luck and Happy Reefing!!

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you guys like the tank also. I will post more updates later.

BTW, do I need to leave some space when placing zoas? I know they are slow grower, but I dont want to move them around too much, so I need place them in the right spot the first time.

Also, what additives zoa needs? I probably need to test them first before dose anything.

What are the test kits must have for keep corals? I know some common ones such as calcium, alk, mag and iodine. what other test kits I need?

Can I keep sexy shrimps in my tank? I heard they eat corals sometime... not sure I should risk it.

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I would leave some space so the colony can grow out. I feed twice weekly some PhytoPlex with the pumps and skimmer off for an hour. Magnesium needs to be tested 1st then start dosing slowly. Instructions on the bottle. Ca++ should be 450-500. Test 1st before dosing then gradually increase. Once your Ca++ is stable you will dose probably 2X weekly. You may want to look into automatic dosing or Drip systems. It gets technical. Look for a Nitrate and Phosphate Test kit aswell.
GL...

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I would leave some space so the colony can grow out. I feed twice weekly some PhytoPlex with the pumps and skimmer off for an hour. Magnesium needs to be tested 1st then start dosing slowly. Instructions on the bottle. Ca++ should be 450-500. Test 1st before dosing then gradually increase. Once your Ca++ is stable you will dose probably 2X weekly. You may want to look into automatic dosing or Drip systems. It gets technical. Look for a Nitrate and Phosphate Test kit aswell.
GL...

Thanks for the info. I wonder what brand of test kit should I get. I know Salifert makes the best test kit, but they are expensive. Is there a master kit that include the ones I need. The basic master kit only includes the ammonia, ph, nitrate, etc (good for cycling a tank).

My pickling lime powder should take care of calcium and alk. I will get the Phytoplex online.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Some updated pics of the tank 2-28-10 (8 weeks)

The zoo at right side of the tank is actually in lemon yellow, but it looks green in the pic. I guess the actinic light alters the true color of the zoo.

The corals show better color and open up better after a w/c.

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 81
  • TankShot1.jpg
    TankShot1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Green1.jpg
    Green1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 80
  • Hammer1.jpg
    Hammer1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 82
  • GreenTip1.jpg
    GreenTip1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 82
  • melon1.jpg
    melon1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Recordea1.jpg
    Recordea1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 79
  • SPS1.jpg
    SPS1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 78
  • TankRight1.jpg
    TankRight1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 79

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
38G tank and 5.5 weeks old...

Nice. However, in order to save yourself a lot of headache in the future, I suggest you don't put the star polyps on your main rockwork. Give them a rock of their own surrounded by a moat of sand. These things are more annoying and invasive than english ivy when they get going.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Nice. However, in order to save yourself a lot of headache in the future, I suggest you don't put the star polyps on your main rockwork. Give them a rock of their own surrounded by a moat of sand. These things are more annoying and invasive than english ivy when they get going.

Thanks for the input. I can move the GSP onto the sandbed. I did notice it has grown a bit and thriving.

BTW, the tank is EIGHT weeks old. I haven't seen an algae outbreak at this point. I guess the HOB CPR aquafuge really helped maintain the tank algae free. :) Maybe I should say it so soon, wait until I start adding fish to the tank.

How do you guys like the dry rock? They have turned a bit purple after been in my tank for 6 weeks. I feel buying dry rocks for a new tank is the way to go. It isn't take that long for them to color up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: