Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey whats up gang? I've got a question for all the nano tank users. I have a pretty well settled 10g nano reef tank. Coming along quite nicely but I think the oceanic protein skimmer that fits on a biocube 14g & 29g is just not doing the trick. Therefore I searched around a bit for a new protein skimmer for smaller applications but didn't really find anything that fit me. I was wondering about a canister filter since I see some fish stores use them. What do you guys think? Thanks

SFWBreefguy

nycdominicanreef

one frag at a time
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
ppl are scared of canister filters bcuz they can be nitrate traps if you dont keep an eye on them, but i would use it to run carbon and phosban media, nothing wrong in that

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh ok, so just as long as I clean the filter it should be fine, right? What about corals and inverts? It won't bother them that I use phosban and carbon right?
Thanks for the help.

ppl are scared of canister filters bcuz they can be nitrate traps if you dont keep an eye on them, but i would use it to run carbon and phosban media, nothing wrong in that

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Quick tip..DO NOT CHANGE EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE IN THE CANISTER FILTER.. alternate your cleaning schedule. One week change one media, following week change the other. That way you give it a chance to repopulate. By changing both at the same time you loose your good benificial bacteria that has developed on the media. Good Luck & Happy Reefing!!

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Yeah, well congrats chief. Anyway I believe most canister filters have more than one media basket so if you do decide to go with 2 medias like NYC said. I would alternate.
All depends on you. What works for me might not work for everyone else. So Good Luck & Happy Reefing. Hey Chief.. what media were you using that you replenished like that? Sounds cheap. LOL!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: