DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm thinking about getting the Reef Keeper Lite for my lighting and powerhead. Would i be able to put one of those "outlet splitters" that make 1 outlet 2 or 3 in one of the RKL outlets? it seems like I shouldn't but i'm just wondering what people think.

Last edited:

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I have a PC4 (4 outlets) and wanted heater, fan, 2 sets of lights and moonlights. I used a $2 splitter on one outlet to put the lights on one outlet and it worked perfectly. Just keep in mind that you can only control 4 outlets, so if you put 2 things on one outlet they will operate the same way.

I no longer have moonlights, so I'm not still running it this way.

jainy

Active Reefer
Rating - 50%
2   2   0
I just ordered the RKL and 2 Koralia Evolution 425 that I plan on using as a wavemaker. Based on my research it should work fine, but I'll let you know how it goes.

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I just ordered the RKL and 2 Koralia Evolution 425 that I plan on using as a wavemaker. Based on my research it should work fine, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Do you know if the Evolution has a regular plug for an outlet? I couldn't find much information but on the koralia website it advertises that you should plug it into the koralia wavemaker. The picture of the koralia wavemaker doesn't have a regular outlet (unless it is on the back side).

How big is the 425. I'm looking for nano sized evolutions.

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I called Hydor and answered my own questions...

What size tank are you putting those in? also I can't find the evolution 425, only the 750. is the 425 smaller?

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
With the RKL you can control up to 4 modules whether it be 4 PC4's, or a combo of PC4's and other modules to add up to 4. That way you can control up to 16 plugs. I needed mine to control 8 things so am daisy chaining 2 PC4's. The thing to keep in mind is each PC4 can only handle 15 amps total draw- is split up between the 4 plugs-channel 1 can handle 8 amps channels 2&3 can handle 3 amps each and channel 4 can handle 8 amps but not to exceed 15 amps total so if doubling up anything on 1 channel have to make sure is on a channel that can handle both.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
The RKL tells you what your draw is on each outlet, so if this is a concern, plug in one light and see what the draw is. Then determine if you need a 3amp outlet or an 8amp to plug in the second light. I had 2 lights in an 8, and my heater in the other. The moonlights went into a 3 and a fan went in the other.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Yeah, the RK series is genius marketing really. $99 controller, but then you want the modules for it, then you want to add switches, probes, etc. By the time you're done, you spend $400-$500 anyway, but it's nice to be able to add on little by little.

jainy

Active Reefer
Rating - 50%
2   2   0

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0

jainy

Active Reefer
Rating - 50%
2   2   0
I received my RKL and 2 evolution 425s. I quickly set it up and was quite pleased with the wavemaker feature. The 425 are far more powerful that my old nano and just as small. My RKL came with an insert saying it was upgraded to firmware version 1.11. Well it was not and after upgrading I was forced to perform a factory reset that erased all my programming. So if you do decide to get the RKL check the firmware first and then upgrade if necessary before you program the unit.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: