bizarrecorals

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell sand now that won't cause nitrate problems, any subtrate will do if you keep proper maintance on top of it.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I put about a 4 inch or so deep sand bed in my fuge with crushed coral was this a good idea? i heard it was better to do crushed coral do to the fact that its not a nitrate trap.

Crushed coral can indeed become a nitrate trap. However, it also hosts pods and certain types of life really well, and can be worth it in a refugium, where you can always just vacuum it out without worrying about screwing up your display. I'm going to create a significant rubble zone in my sump for this purpose -- and so I can just throw frags of soft corals in and let 'em take root. However, without abundant and varied life, it's just a massive detritus sink.

A thin layer of crushed coral over a thick layer of oolitic aragonite might be the best of both worlds.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
you have been given bad info. first of all a deep "sand bed" isnt a sand bed with crushed coral. second crushed coral is so much worse than sand for a nitrate sourse. the purpose of a deep sand bed is to lower the nitrates. Anaerobic bacteria at the bottom of the sand bed use the nitrogen and take it out of the system. i would take the crushed coral out and and either give it a real deep sand bed or put in mineral mud. either way take out the crushed coral nothing but problems

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have heard of deep sand beds giving of bubbles of sulfer dioxide also. That is bad, right?
If so, how do you disscourage that and encourage the process that produces good bubbles?

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: