ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
i left my tanks for two weeks and everything was ok.
i have the double switch ATO from AUTOTOPOFF.Com with an aqualifter pump
i have a chiller and a aquacontroller junior to control heaters lights and chiller

also i did have someone come like 2x a week to check on the fresh water reservoir level.when it was getting low they just had to turn on the pipe under the sink.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Make sure you can estimate your evap level long before you go. I go through about 2.5g a day on my 75g. A 20g bucket would last me about a week.

Thanks. I have a 38g tank.

What about feeding the fish and my two fire shrimps. I guess I still need someone to come over twice a week?

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
You could get an auto-feeder for pellet or flake, but your best bet is to have someone come in and check on things anyway.

I dont think my fire shrimps have any chance of grabbing the dry pellets before they get suck in the filter.

I feed my fireshrimp frozen food only. I dont see how this going to work without having a fishsitter to look after my tank while I'm away.

Would you think the fish and shrimps will starve to death in 2 weeks?

irvp13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I have feeder ring, an auto feeder with dry missis shrimp and pellets. I have a JBL auto top off and a 2.5 gallon bucket. My tank is only 24 G so that lasts me for two weeks. I leave my tank for up to two weeks at the time a few times a year, and its been working perfectly for me. The auto feeder drops a little food once or twice a day, less than what I feed my fish and shrimp regularly, but I find everything OK at my return.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I've left my tank for three months with no problems. I had my neighbor stop by twice per week to dump in a cube of mysis and check the top off and check the auto feeder. For two weeks, you could probably just leave the tank or have a friend check it halfway through. It depends on how paranoid you are!

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

greenycrew

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well Ive been away on vacation since last Saturday... All tank has is an auto feeder. No top off(I don't really lose much water). I can only imagine what I'm gonna find this weekend.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
32Bit, set up the ATO, feeder you won't regret these!;)
What time frame during the summer is it that you may be going away? How hot does your place get during that period of the year on a norm? What are your plans for maintaining the temp in your tank?

I live between the Atlantic Ocean (3 blks. from the boardwalk, and 7 blks. from Bay), and Jamaica Bay. My place stays very comfortable for humans w/out the A/C, but yet the tanks can reach 84 degrees during the hottest days we've had in the past few summers.:(
I brought that up just to demonstrate that you also should take the temp. rise in your tank into consideration. I do not run chillers on my tanks, nor do I advocate for them. But in your case, well you may need to consider one.

With ATO, feeder, chiller, controller/timers I would still recommend you have someone you trust go, and check to make sure all is going well.:)

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
182   0   0
32Bit, set up the ATO, feeder you won't regret these!;)
What time frame during the summer is it that you may be going away? How hot does your place get during that period of the year on a norm? What are your plans for maintaining the temp in your tank?

I live between the Atlantic Ocean (3 blks. from the boardwalk, and 7 blks. from Bay), and Jamaica Bay. My place stays very comfortable for humans w/out the A/C, but yet the tanks can reach 84 degrees during the hottest days we've had in the past few summers.:(
I brought that up just to demonstrate that you also should take the temp. rise in your tank into consideration. I do not run chillers on my tanks, nor do I advocate for them. But in your case, well you may need to consider one.

With ATO, feeder, chiller, controller/timers I would still recommend you have someone you trust go, and check to make sure all is going well.:)

Well, I never paid attention to my room temp because I just turn on the AC if I feel too hot. I dont know the exact date of travling oversea, maybe in late Sep or Oct. I dont like to travel during summer either, I will see if I can push the schedule further out in late Oct.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: