FrostyNYC

Nano Tank N00b
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hi all.

I'm looking for about 15 pounds of live rock for my new nano cube, and I'm wondering what store you guys would suggest I buy from. I live on Long Island but drive and work in Manhattan, so pretty much anywhere is fair game (but no jersey!). I stopped at Fishtown USA in Flushing but their rock is huge and ugly, and Tropical Showcase in Hicksville but theirs is $11.99 a pound (crazy!). I've seen a lot of people offering rock for sale on the forum here but it seems most people sell in bulk, and I really dont need much for my nano.

So ya, if you can suggest a good source of attractive and fairly priced rock, please do let me know. Thanks.

bmarkus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Keep in mind rock is not rock there are many grades of rock. When you buy rock whatever you choose you should not only look at the price but more importantly the rock should be light for it's size that usally is a tell tell sign of good rock. Manhattan does have nice rock and they might be getting some Tonga in a few days. Also Tropical Island Aquairium on deer park ave has some nice rock.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hi all.

I'm looking for about 15 pounds of live rock for my new nano cube, and I'm wondering what store you guys would suggest I buy from. I live on Long Island but drive and work in Manhattan, so pretty much anywhere is fair game (but no jersey!). I stopped at Fishtown USA in Flushing but their rock is huge and ugly, and Tropical Showcase in Hicksville but theirs is $11.99 a pound (crazy!). I've seen a lot of people offering rock for sale on the forum here but it seems most people sell in bulk, and I really dont need much for my nano.

So ya, if you can suggest a good source of attractive and fairly priced rock, please do let me know. Thanks.

Pets Warehouse in ... Copaigue?... usually has a pretty decent selection of liverock at, well, okay prices. I think they give volume discounts. Frankly, if you're buying live rock at a LFS, you're gonna get dinged if it's any kind of quality LR. I'd suggest buying most of your LR from another MR member and filling it out with choice selected pieces from your LFS -- there's often LR on sale here for two bucks or less a pound, and you'll probably pay at least twice that at a LFS.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I would try to keep it as local as possible to cut down on die off while out of water in transport- just my opinion

A couple hours in a bucket won't really hurt live rock, unless it's got sponges, if it doesn't experience too high or too low temperatures. You can wrap the LR in damp towels or newspaper and that'll also help if you're travelling more than a couple hours.

bmarkus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just picked up Tonga branch from Tropical Island for a new 300 that I just set up. Again it is more money but you get what you pay for. Rock will keep for a bit of time where ever you buy it just ask them to put in a box and cover it with very wet news paper, and it will keep for hours. Also try to keep it above 72F. Good luck and have fun with your new tank.

jcolon2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
You should purchase lr from the members here. I purchased beautiful rock at the lfs store but it cost me 200 for 18 pounds. I bought from a member on this site, and received 50 pounds of rock for 75 dollars and the rock had some nice stuff in it.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
FYI.. All rocks harvest from the pacific sits out of water for a minimum of 48-96 hours before reaching the wholesellers in LA, I have seen some that sat in the hot sun for a week.

Most wholesellers don't "cure" the rocks when they arrive in the US, they sit in large vats of dirty water, most with no skimmer of any filter. Some try to ship these rocks to the LFS without taking them out of the box even. By the time "live rock" reaches LFS, they are pretty much "dead", but is perfect to kick start the cycling process because of all the dead matters attached to the so call "live rock".

For 15lbs, I would start with some dry rocks like Marco rock and try to add either a small piece rock or some live sand from a well established tank. You can always buy pods and add those separately.

I have not been in fish town for a few years, but I would not buy any "live rock" from them based on what I remember how they keep the rocks and the quality of rocks they used have.

fernandokng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Look in the For Sale forums. They are tons of members selling nice rocks. Do a search.

You should purchase lr from the members here. I purchased beautiful rock at the lfs store but it cost me 200 for 18 pounds. I bought from a member on this site, and received 50 pounds of rock for 75 dollars and the rock had some nice stuff in it.

FrostyNYC

Nano Tank N00b
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Went to Manhattan Aquarium today on W 37th. For anyone following this thread because they're also looking for live rock, it's $8 a pound there. Some pieces had quite a lot of corraline on them and were pretty nice. Most of the bigger pieces were pretty dull though. Didnt buy anything, since my tank doesnt even have water in it yet. Going to check out Tropical Island Aquarium on Sunday. I've been keeping my eye on the Marketplace, Craigslist, and online vendors here too. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to save a few bucks and bought LR online. it ended up being that first big snow storm and i got half dead rock. Anyways, Ive been going to Pacific Aquarium at Delancy and although not cheap at 10 bucks per pound ive been getting some really nice stuff and its spreading to the internet rock. Ive gotten some of the nicest pieces ive seen at any aquarium in nyc so far. they have a few large tanks where they have the rock,dont waste your time there. look through ALL the tanks....the primo stuff is in the tanks where they are selling fish or coral and its the same price as the bin stuff.

Reeftop1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Rock for Sale...
Sitting in a large 30 gallon rubber-maid pail just circulating threw my frag tank for over a year 1/2 now. Some Xenia growing on it and some small feather dusters.
Theirs got to be about 150 lbs in there but willing to sell you the 15 lbs for $100.00 and am located on long island in port Jeff.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: