Larissa

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm married to beerfish, which means I've got an experienced reefer in the house. And I've been helping somewhat with our 75 gallon tank that he mostly takes care of.

But now I've got a 24 gallon aquapod that we're getting ready to house seahorses! I adore seahorses, always have, and the more I learn about them, the more I love the idea of them. I'm in the midst of reading up on them while the tank cycles.

Right now, it's just a bunch of rock, some zoas, a leather, and a chalice. My tank is so clean (except for the diatom bloom portion of the cycle that's happening now) that we took the leather and chalice from the big tank, where they were having issues, and put 'em in mine. Anyway, here's my as-of-yet boring tank:

Cycling8.jpg

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
im setting up a 125 gallon reef display dank and i also have a 40 gallon tank below it in the stand i built, i plan on using it for seahorses and pipefish.. anysugjestions about water flow, quality and can i use it at part of the water system of the reef tsnk which will have a 40 gallon refuge and a 40 gallon rock only tank for extra filtration...

Larissa

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused. You want to use the 40 gallon sump from your display tank as a seahorse/pipefish tank? Or are we talking about several different tanks here?

Larissa

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, yeah, I wasn't even thinking about flow. I was thinking about light, contaminants, and food. The flow would have 'em all smacked up against a wall, the poor things.

Larissa

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, for Pete's sake, "several years" isn't new! Sheesh. I don't know about the water. Beerfish? Oh, beerfish?

One thing I might worry about is the pH. I've been reading up on seahorse pH, but don't know regular reef pH needs, so I don't know if it's the same.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
i meant new to this sight, i was at a lumber yard in brooklyn the other day and got into a long discussion about reef tanks while waiting for suplies, he told me about this sight and how much great info you guys had to offer, so here i am, instead of figuring it out for myself..it gets too expensive for trial and error on a setup this big!

Larissa

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooooooooooooooooh! Gotcha. Yeah, I'd never have tried this on my own. It'd have just been one of those things in the back of my head, "Gee, I wish I could have seahorses, they're so cool."

Larissa

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefs are colse to the same.. but with the calcium and other chemicals needed for the reef i wonder if it will have adverse effects on them

Yeah, when he has a free minute, I'll make beerfish answer that. You're more like him - the 75 gallon is his baby, and he wants to keep upgrading (despite the fact that it's not anywhere near full yet). Me, I want seahorses & pipefish.

Don't get me wrong, I love the tang & blennie & all that... and the cardinals we just got were fish that *I* wanted more than he did. But seahorses are just so... wrong. How can I not love them?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: