nyfynest22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok ive got chateo im ny ref, and notice today that the top is turning black, anyone every witness this before? I have a light on it for about 8 hours or so, could it be to much light currently using a energy bulb wich is rated to put out 90 watts. Any ideas?

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Ok ive got chateo im ny ref, and notice today that the top is turning black, anyone every witness this before? I have a light on it for about 8 hours or so, could it be to much light currently using a energy bulb wich is rated to put out 90 watts. Any ideas?

Check and see if the chaeto's loosing integrity or if it's covered with cyano or something, otherwise, it could just be massive production of chlorphyll.

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
the top is probably expose to the air. the cheatos dying off at the top n cyano is growing on it being fuel by the decay. increase the water flow n submerge all the cheatos. too much nutrients n low water flow will also allow cyano proliferate.

Last edited:

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
the top is probably expose to the air. the cheatos dying off at the top n cyano is growing on it being fuel by the decay. increase the water flow n submerge all the cheatos. too much nutrients n low water flow will also allow cyano proliferate.

Aside from sucking out major mats, I don't mind a bit of cyano in my fuge. It means that if conditions in my tank change so that the growth of cyanobacteria is encouraged, the explosion will mostly happen down there away from my display. ;)

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
pics would help it all underwater right? your tank is still very new i think you shuld keep an eye on it if you can get a pic of it to i think your lighting is fine run the fuge light when you main lights go out turn the fuge light out when the main lights come on

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: