Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Help starting a Brand New 60G tank

One of my friends got bit by the saltwater/reefing bug today and bought a 60 Gallon tank. I have explained to her all about the process of cycling and being patient and testing her tank etc.

There are some things about her equipment that I cant answer for her bc I have a BioCube.

She bought the tank at PetCo and the guy there told her that the marineland biowheel power fiilter penguin 350 was the best for Saltwater.

She is going to have a Reef tank not just fish.

What kind of pump, filter, equipment should she get?
Im very interested too bc I hope to upgrade my 29 G BioCube soon :)

She is already investing in her own RO/DI filter. She is getting some sand, LR and baserock online - she lives in upstate NY and only has a PetCo near her. She will be getting all the tests she will need and a hydrometer either tonight or tomorrow. She is anxious to start the cycling process! I remember the excitiment as well .... and then watching a tank of live rock for 2 months lol the hardest part.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
IMO if shes gonna go reef and even investing in RO. make sure she has a sump..find out if the tank is reef ready (pre-dilled) or if it needs an overflow. next..get some opinions on MR about whats a good skimmer for a 60g tank. it depends how much fish and coral shes gonna be putting in there..start stocking up on equipment such as lights and powerheads now while the tank cycles..this is basically whats needed..i think..if im wrong someone correct me..and petco is not always the best place for advice. just go on MR and ask away!! everyone here is very helpful. tell her to try to go to the swap too!! she will get a lot of advice and see different setups and equipment. any questions, feel free to PM me..

most importantly..start doing plenty of research about corals and fish and their environment. as well as water parameters. you can find a lot of info by just reading threads on MR. hope it helps

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I dont think the tank is predrilled I will find out for sure.

I told her I understand her excitement but to go slowly and exactly what you said DEL read up on everything while you tank is cycling so the time flies quicker and she becomes more knowledgable.

Im not sure she is ready to include a sump in her setup just yet, would it be something hard to add later on?

What are the 'MUST HAVES' to start her tank cycling?

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
If she lives upstate she actually has WAY better than PETCO near her- one of our vendors are up there- saltwatercritters- Russ(masterswimmer) is in Chester and Jim(House of Laughter) is in Ossining. If I were her Id give them a call. She could do way better than a HOB filter like DEL said I would do a sump if for a reef- I wouldnt do a HOB.

They will also give her sound advice and head her in the absolute right direction with the best equipment for the funds she has available.

Also I would have her invest in a refractometer- are as easy if not easier to use than a hydrometer- no bubbles being stuck to the arm and having a possible false salinity reading at first because she didnt realize there were bubbles stuck to it.

I would have her like Del stated although if PETCO said to use a HOB Id say its not a drilled tank- get an overflow box to use for the sump. There are almost a countless variety to go with. I would have her do all the research that DEL mentioned and then some before the cycling process as well as price out the exact equipment she decides on and piece it together as she can afford so that once she starts cycling the tank- everything is ready to go and she can get right into the hobby the right/prepared way.

AND REITTERATE TO HER OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO BE PATIENT lol-- the most important thing.........Am sure I missed a bunch but thats all that came to mind off the top of my head

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
A refractometer is preferred over a hydrometer.
I also suggest she get in touch with Salwatercritters for anything she needs to order...including test kits. She can use API kits for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate & PH, but I would suggest the better brands for Ca/Mg/Alk.

Amy idea what lighting she is using?
She should return the Penguin filter.
Remind her she needs a heater..actually 2 are better. 2 -100W heaters would be good for a tank that size.

,...and a really good book on SW tanks..and a friend like you! :)

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
All she bought from PETCO if you read the post was the tank and the filter or just the tank and was getting everything else from other sources. If she doesnt specifically want a drilled tank than theres nothing wrong with a tank from PETCO- I never bought anything from them but I wouldnt not get just a tank from them,especially if they were having a great sale when I was looking for a tank, would just set it up with stuff from reputable people that I ordered.

But I will say Marcellina like we said earlier saltwatercritters can get her tank more suited to keep a reef and everything she needs for it for a better price I would imagine.

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Jimmy you are correct she only got the tank and stand from PetCo and they persuaded her into getting that filter.

She has been researching on her own and she only found out today that I have a Reef tank and I have been helping her out with some information.

I've already given her Saltwatercritters info and she should be contacting them regarding all the stuff she will need.

Everyone on this site has helped me tremendously when I started 8 months ago and I have learned alot and there is always more to learn. I sent her a link to this thread to read as well.

Dulaya do you see how many people are here to help you with your new baby (aka Reef Tank)? :) LOL

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Cool well just have her call those 2 characters upstate(theyre great guys) reurn that filter if she likes the tank and stand keep that and setup an overflow and sump. That way she can do a nice skimmer, and any reactors she wasnts to put on the system and make it work well for her..

The only time I would tell her to return the stand even is if she cant fit a big enough sump to have a fuge in the middle but if she can fit a good functioning sump in the stand then is no reason if she likes it that she has to return it. Good luck Dulaya. Will have a great tank in the longrun just do it right and be patient;)

Last edited:

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Nothing wrong with buying from Petco, I buy my dog food there sometimes. The point I am trying to make is she should figure out all the stuff she needs before buying a tank. 60G bare tank would be the cheapest part a 60G "system", she needs to figure out if she wants to sink 10X more $ than what she walked out of Petco with to have a proper reef system.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
True enough I was only saying cali that if she liked the tank and stand a lot, and wanted an external overflow instead of a predrilled tank, as long as the stand can fit a good sump that will work for her tank she didnt absolutely have to return it, that she could make it work for her. Again I do agree that if she really wants to keep a nice reef Russ and Jim would be able for sure to hook her up with a tank more suitable for a reef, and would get her going the right way for less.

I have never bought aquarium supplies or livestock from PETCO but there are options with the tank she bought from there. Some people may take everyone saying return it, return it like they bought a tank thats a lemon and panic a little bit, but IF Dulayas reading this you should talk to Russ and Jim you will most likely find that even after eating a restocking fee youll get a better tank for cheaper. Good luck.

Last edited:
D

dulaya03

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
thanks for all the info everyone. i originally was going for a freshwater tropical community fish tank, until i found out marcella a reef tank, which is what i always wanted but was scared to have. i'm so excited. she's been a great help. on my way to the store to return everything else and will contact saltwatercritters. don't worry, nothing but patience here. too scared to kill anything. thanks a whole bunch!!!!!!

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Dulaya it was a pleasure chatting with you. You've gotten a lot of great information from the members here. It's always great to see them come together to assist someone getting into the hobby.

If you have any other questions I can help with, please don't hesitate for a moment to give me a call. I'm literally just a few miles from you.

Talk soon,
Russ

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
dulaya03...welcome to our addiction...and also to mr. you already have gotten some great advices from people here....the best being hooking up with jim and russ. they will help you and guide you on the right path. enjoy.
maricella...you already helped your friend tremendously by steering her here. you're now an awesome reefer...lol.

thanks for all the info everyone. i originally was going for a freshwater tropical community fish tank, until i found out marcella a reef tank, which is what i always wanted but was scared to have. i'm so excited. she's been a great help. on my way to the store to return everything else and will contact saltwatercritters. don't worry, nothing but patience here. too scared to kill anything. thanks a whole bunch!!!!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: