JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
jimmyr1rider that was very nice and big of you!

Well j900 that worked well for me to cycle my tank so I told him is all good. Am an honest guy- everyone has their ways that was mine. I dotn think it was big.....honest Thanks though.
And PON it worked well for me so I dont think I gave you BAD info just different from how some would choose to cycle theirs is all

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Jimmy may have overdone it a bit on the shrimp...lol...3 weeks of stink?

Not necessary. The original idea of using the shrimp was to leave it in there only until the ammonia level spiked (like a day) , and then take it out and throw it away... as far as possible!!
That original creation of ammonia then causes the correct types of bacteric to grow & muiltipy..and thereby causing your 'cycle'.

You need to let that cycle progress naturally..which means no water changes, only 'top off' - water with no salt in it.

You want to be testing every day or two (or more often if you are truly being a noob reefer :))..and watching your cycle progress. A tiny pinch of flake food every 3 days will keep the growing bacteria fed along with any critters that might have come in on your live rock.

..and leave the lights off during the cycle too.

..and Jimmy - usually a bad idea to remove a post that was appropriate at the time... aside from making people think they've lost their minds, it ruins the continuity of a thread...(if we think it's really out of place/line , we will remove it for ya ;)thx!

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Guilty as charged Kathy well the whole deal worked well for me with my cycle. was the only post I removed, just didnt want to see a thread go to the certain way it can when people disagree strongly and talked to PON directly through pages. It was PON's thread and didnt want to detract from the thread by it turning into 20 questions on why weekly changes is all.

Of course in fact it started cycling while Russ was getting me my MH ballast, pendant and bulbs

Also the stink wasnt so bad was kind of like living in a subway station lol

Last edited:

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
just wait until the tank has cycled before doing a WC. If you do it too soon you will prolong the cycle and throw it off. I would do a pinch of fish food instead of the shrimp but that is only personal preference. You can tip off with distilled water. I do all the time but I have found that Poland Spring has a lower TDS than other distilled waters.

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
Jimmy, Jimmy, jimmy, how could you? (just wanted to add my 2c to the drama :lol2:). Good of you to own up, especially since there was no trail. When I joined MR I saw posts that showed that this was a mature and helpful site. You just added support to that (even though we have obvious lapses). That being said, one lump or two?

lol... man your gonna take a beating now jim!

:tongueani

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: