rpc07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I'm not to sure whats going on here but it seems like every time i change my filter sock ( 3-4 days ) the water gets a little milky for a day then clears up could this be or is something else going on? i checked the water and the parameters do not show anything going on. The next time the filter sock needs to be changed im going to try and run without it and see what happens

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Do you turn off your pumps and let the water settle 1st before you remove the filter sock? If no, this may give you a(n) answer. When you remove the filter sock, with the water still flowing, the water that flows into your sump or wet dry is flowing at a higher rate(nothing to slow the flow) causing it to disturb all the loose particles (sand, detrimus)that have accumulated at the bottom, and causing it to cycle through your tank making it cloudy(milky).
Are you using anything to clean your filter socks? Mild deterget, soap or anything? If yes.. stop and just use warm water. I run the washing machine with just warm water 1st to remove any detergents or bleach for a whole cycle before I add the filter socks. Hope this helped some.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: