SaltyFlip

Percula Agent
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My friend and I started talking about vitamins for fish and supplements for them. In my experience, I never had a chance to use these garlic drops, supplements or appetite enhancers (Selcon, Zoe Marine, Garlic Guard and Garlic Boost just to name a few) since I started with saltwater. I feed my fish then/now a mixture of slow sinking pellets/mysis/bloodworms/flakes depending on day. In your experience, do these supplements really work? Do they really enhance appetite and/or make them healthier and less prone to sickness?

Thanks for entertaining this question.

SaltyFlip

Percula Agent
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Have you used it often/much? Or does one only use it if they feel like their fish is feeling/looking sick?

Also, there's two types I see...one that you soak your food in and another one to just dose the tank with. which one do you use and which is better?

p.s. questions aimed to all. I'm trying to gather as much as I can before committing to it, if ever. :D

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
My friend and I started talking about vitamins for fish and supplements for them. In my experience, I never had a chance to use these garlic drops, supplements or appetite enhancers (Selcon, Zoe Marine, Garlic Guard and Garlic Boost just to name a few) since I started with saltwater. I feed my fish then/now a mixture of slow sinking pellets/mysis/bloodworms/flakes depending on day. In your experience, do these supplements really work? Do they really enhance appetite and/or make them healthier and less prone to sickness?

Thanks for entertaining this question.

There's anecdotal evidence that garlic boosts immune systems, and a lot of critters definitely -do- go nuts for it. It certainly doesn't seem to do any harm, so there's no reason not to use it. That said, there's little or no scientific evidence that it does anything but make your fish's food smell more like Italian. ;) I haven't actually used garlic yet -- though it's impregnated into the Formula 1 pellets I feed -- but it's on my 'to experiment with' list.

Selcon definitely is a great supplement; it contains basic vitamins and oils that corals and fish need. I've definitely noticed enhanced feeding reactions in corals when I use it in the tank, and it seems to cause enhanced colors with use.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: