Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions?
I was thinking starting a reef type thing but have no clue where to start.
Any suggestions on what to buy next?

Attachments

• IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 154

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
Kinda looks like the tank is cycling,

if you want to go reef take off the bio wheel and run a hang on sump or fuge. Also You will have to up grade the lighting and you need a skimmer and more live rock. But the pice you have now that is purple is a off to a good start in devl. coraline algie on the other rocks. How long has this tank been running. Also test amonia, the trates and ph and salt. Then when you start to add coral you test the cal, mag and alk. Have you seen brown cyno on the glass and on the sand?

Many things to type back, but having a good start sets you off to a better tank

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
O to add to what I said above to me it looks like you just started up the tank, I would also add a power head and let it cycle out. I can tell cause of the back wall and the white haze tht is on it when you start off the tank that is what happens. LOL have fun

fab1971

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Don't even think about corals right now. You definitely need a powerhead or 2 to get some circulation going. Test kits + some more lr would help. Clean up crew would be the first place to start, before fish or coral. Do some research before picking a lighting system. There are many affordable options out there and you definitely want to get the best type of lighting you can afford. That way you wont have to upgrade and change systems (which can prove more costly). A skimmer (very important imo) would definitely help keep a cleaner and healthier tank. If you start right away and buy live animals, there will be death and disappointment. Patience is key to this hobby. Do a lot of research and reading and you will be a lot better off. Good luck!

saltygeek75

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Clean up crew , More live rock , Skimmer, 2 power heads.

For that tank you can go with a Aqua c Remora Skimmer that hangs on the back it will more the do the job.

What type of light do you have now. Whats your readings on the water PH, Nitrate , Ect.

greenycrew

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Metal halide 150 watt would be fine for both sps and lps and less costly in the short term. You will probably need a chiller though! Another 350 at the least. Do you have a protein skimmer? It looks like you have a biowheel on that thing. Take it off. Also you definitely need some powerheads for water movement.

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
Buy the skimmer first and make sure you get a good skimmer, do alot of research, considering you have no sump you need a hang on skimmer and also you should be good with t5s you get different color spectrums, also you will be saving on the electric bill, the mh you will def need a chiller and they can get costly. But the first thing is the live rock and then the skimmer right after that.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: