malkz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hello everyone, i recently sold my 55 gallon tank to make room for a used oceanic 150 gallon tank, with stand & canopy, the colors of stand and canopy are a whitish cream color, as well as the trimming around bottom and top of tank, i was wondering if there's anyone in the Long Island area that has experience on sanding and changing color of entire set-up, black would be the ultimate goal, thanks for you time.
malkz

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
is the stand real wood or particle board? if its real wood you could probably just lightly sand it down and paint over the lighter paint. if you want fully remove the paint you could just get a chemical stripper to make your life easier.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
If it's hardwood or plywood, you can use gel stain to darken it and then paint it with polymix (polyurethane with stain, available in any HD) if you want to go even darker. Or, if you want it solid black, I would paint it with oil based paint.

malkz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The stand is real hardwood but the canopy is particle board, but the strips on the tank are white too, i tried to get them from my LFS but oceanic doesnt exist anymore

James983

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
If you are painting it's easy. You can do like other posters stated, but you may not have to remove anything. You could just prime and re-paint, depending on the condition. I would suggest an oil based primer and paint though, that will be more durable. You could also thin the paint with a product called Penatrol and virtually eliminate brush marks. But, remember to have whatever you paint vertical so the paint does not run. It will take longer because you will have to paint each side one at a time, but it will look much better w/o brush strokes.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: