Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking for advice. I have a 20 gallon tall reef tank with a 150 watt metal halide (7hrs a day) and 30 watts of t5 actinic lighting(12hrs a day). my current corals are blue acropora, green star polyps both are frags 3'' to 4'' and a colony of orange and green zoanthids.some scinaia complanata (red macro algae) growing. The zoos and acropora are new. Any advice on if its needed or good compact led light sugestions would be great.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
No sir, absolutely not NEEDED. Does it offer another dimension for you to observe your tank in? You betcha. Moonlight is a fantastic medium to view your undersea world.

Certain moonlights, carefully chosen will illuminate your reef subtly but with enough light to see things you never knew took place in the oceans' reef, let alone in your own living room.

I can't recommend moonlights highly enough.

Russ

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Im looking for advice. I have a 20 gallon tall reef tank with a 150 watt metal halide (7hrs a day) and 30 watts of t5 actinic lighting(12hrs a day). my current corals are blue acropora, green star polyps both are frags 3'' to 4'' and a colony of orange and green zoanthids.some scinaia complanata (red macro algae) growing. The zoos and acropora are new. Any advice on if its needed or good compact led light sugestions would be great.

No, but they're really nice to have. You don't need anything expensive or anything.

They're nice to have 'cause they let you watch things going on in your tank at night more readily, and 'cause if you link them up to a moon-cycle controller it can help to provoke spawning behavior in several types of inverts.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: