picod

Reefer Chick
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hello!

I am having a little battle with some cyano in my six gallon Fluval Edge, and I am finally in the lead!
What I did today:
Today I did a 20% water change and started dosing with Special Blend per the recommendations I have read on MR. I then added Chemi-Pure Elite to my hob filter, (although the bag had to be stuffed in there with my heater!) and replaced my microjet450 ph (117mph) with a koralia nano ph(240mph).
What I've done so far:
In the course of the last two weeks, I have done a 10% water change every three days. I've been leaving my lights (2- 3watt -240 lumen, 6000k leds, and 1- 10watt coralife 50/50) on for 7 hours a day. I have also been turkey baster-ing and siphoning the rocks and the sand. I have noticed however, that I have siphoned out a good amount of sand. After I claim victory in this battle, (and I will, lol)I would like to add sand, but not sure how to, ie. all at one time, mixing it, etc.
I have some ideas, but would really appreciate some direction as to the best way of doing so.
Oh, and I do not overfeed. I actually target feed everyone in my tank- including my one fish and all of my inverts. It's kinda a bonding thing for me, lol. It may get old someday, but I'm totally cool with it for now!
thanks in advance!
danielle

thesauce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I would just rinse the sand in RO water first. Don't replace all of the sand at once. Careful displacing existing sand as well, disturbing it will kick up a lot of phosphates and other nasty stuff. Have extra mixed salt water ready in case things take a turn for the worst.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Just rinse the sand with water from a WC if it's real live sand, or RO water if it's just sand-inna-bag, and dump off the cloudy excess. Put the sand in a plastic bag, lower it to where you want it in the tank, and cut a slit in the bottom of the bag with a razor. Make sure there's as little excess water or air in the bag as possible., but you want the sand to be waterlogged. You'll still kick up some dust, but a lot less.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I think this is still a fairly young tank. Just keep up with your water changes and the cyano should subside. I really wouldn't try messing with any chemicals (or trying to dose mag into a 6 gallon tank) at this point.

crxin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The eaisest way I have found to add sand to an existing tank is to get a fairly large piece of pvc pipe, and use that to funnel the sand down right to the bottom. Pouring the sand into the pipe which should be held very close to the bottom of the tank should elminiate cloudiness.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: