Rayzor

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Curious what everyones opinion on these two systems are:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/75-gpd-ro-di-5-stage-plus-system.html

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1TYPHOONIII/TYPHOON-III-AQUARIUM-RODI-75-or-100-GPD.html

The price is comparable...but looks like BRS's includes more goodies like pressure gauge, in-line dual tds, flush valve, and all three water supply attachments...
For AWI looks like pressure gauge is extra, the tds meter is hand held, looks like u get a flush valve ( but not sure....the AWI info. is not as well written as it is on BRS) and they send only the water supply connection that u request.....
I know little to nothing about RODI systems but am reading more and more everyday.....but I am wondering which is the better value....what extras are good and which are just uneccessary extras.....
Any thoughts, comments, insights are welcome.........

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Razor, you know I have the AWI one, but I have to say that if I was in the market for an ro/di I would purchase the BRS one.;) It seems to offer a heck of alot more then the the AWI

Rayzor

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Awi....Sure looks like the BRS model has everything included.....and is it just me or is the BRS site just easier to read and understand everything that come with the package.....the AWI site just seems less clear about whats included....just poorly written and designed (as far as the website is concerned)
Killer: yes the attatched DI is a nice feature but.....for me.....that feature may not outweigh the accessories included with the BRS model
Seems that the BRS Standard 5 Stage "Plus" comes with the same features and accessories that AWI offers in there more expensive "TyphoonExteme model....which runs about 270$ as opposed to the 199$ for the "BRS 5 StagePlus"........except for the fact that the pressure gauge is built-in to the housing on the Extreme model...

Rayzor

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The other point is that I am waiting to get confirmation on being included on a BRS group buy on "nano-reef".....if that comes thru then the price for the "BRS 5 Stage Plus" drops to about 180$......twenty dollars less than the regular price and 10$ less than the comparable AWI TyphoonIII......
But i have to say that the prices are nowhere near what the LFS's want.......was seeing 250$+++ for 3 and 4 stage models......

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
i wasnt saying brs was a no name brand.. sometimes on ebay u see some ro/di units that have no source so i would be afraid that i wouldnt be able to get parts or filters.. AWI unit i think has a lifetime warrenty.. but i need to get a tds meter for it.. but overall an awsome unit...i love it..

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Don't go with AWI. Customer service has gone down the crapper. I just purchased a new drinking Ro di for the kitchen counter. The filter came with 4 leaking fittings on the filter, broken clips that hold the housing, and also the saddle valve and drain valve were also leaking.

Nothing worse than piercing your water line to find out that the Guest fitting on it leaks and then having to run to home depot @ 9pm to get a new valve so that you can can at least get the cold water back on before the wife kills you. Only to come home install new valve and see other fittings leaking. Luckily I had fittings and a new drain collar on hand.

So a one hour install ended up taking about four hours. I'm still waiting for the broken clips come to come in the mail. Although I did send them an email last week that they could stick their clips up something or other. So I don't think I'll be seeing them anytime soon. BTW I reported the broken unit on 03/05/10.

Steven

Rayzor

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry to hear that Timber.....I've read so many good things about AWI customer service....but maybe those days are no more.....
Perhaps ur mishap was a small fluke....hopefully not an ordinary method of doing business for AWI....but one never knows........

Rayzor

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well the NanoReef GroupBuy came thru.....:thrash: so i guess it'll be the BRS 5 Stage Plus*.....not a bad package for 180$........
Be back here again soon with a thread asking for help on how to set it up....lol....j/k....
or maybe not...we'll see.....
thanks for the helpful input once again MR............

dnreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Well the NanoReef GroupBuy came thru.....:thrash: so i guess it'll be the BRS 5 Stage Plus*.....not a bad package for 180$........
Be back here again soon with a thread asking for help on how to set it up....lol....j/k....
or maybe not...we'll see.....
thanks for the helpful input once again MR............

What's the 411 on the group buy?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: