Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Just a tentative fish list so far for my future 65g which will probably be up and running in 5-6 weeks or so....

Longnose Hawkfish
Royal Gramma
Green Mandarin
(when copepod is in high abundance)

And thats about it so far lol..

Any other cool fish you guys think will do good with those 3 other fish?

Anything wrong with those 3 specific fish being with eachother (nothing I've found on the net has said that)

Also... what do you think the MAX amount of fish I can safely have?
I've been hearing different things from different people.
And I know from keeping puffers in the past that its not really about the inch per gallon thing.. its more about the mass of the fish.

But I'm definitely a person who like his fish.. hell my absolute favorite fish are puffers.. but can't put any puffers in a reef :knockedou

Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Gotta look up what engineer gobys look like and do. I don't want a crazy sand sifting goby that'll make a mess on the sand bed. Mandarins are very.. clean? lol They just gobble up a tiny little amount of sand at a time, and spit out a little.. unlike other gobys I saw (in Anthony27s tank) that goby makes a mess and smothers open brains and other LPS on the sand bed.. lol.

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
LOL

Ok do not put an engineer goby in anything. leave them where ever they are.

as for Royal Gramma. Mine is a jerk and impossible to catch. I would give it to you free if i could...

I also have a 65g. I would shy away from all dottybacks and basslets. and of coarse no tangs, puffers, lionfish .. batfish..sheesh... actually dood you cant really have any fish at all!

LOL I would suggest a pair of cardinal fish. Bangi or the orange stiped ones are nice. Also some clowns. Id stick with the smaller ones like True pers or Occys.

I have kept a small spotted mandarin in my tank for 3 years. (i have a nice refuguim) its either a mandarin or a sifter goby though. if you get both .. there wont be enough food.

good luck

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
LOL

Ok do not put an engineer goby in anything. leave them where ever they are.

as for Royal Gramma. Mine is a jerk and impossible to catch. I would give it to you free if i could...

I also have a 65g. I would shy away from all dottybacks and basslets. and of coarse no tangs, puffers, lionfish .. batfish..sheesh... actually dood you cant really have any fish at all!

LOL I would suggest a pair of cardinal fish. Bangi or the orange stiped ones are nice. Also some clowns. Id stick with the smaller ones like True pers or Occys.

I have kept a small spotted mandarin in my tank for 3 years. (i have a nice refuguim) its either a mandarin or a sifter goby though. if you get both .. there wont be enough food.

good luck

... Are you serious?

Dude you can totally do a Royal Gramma, just make sure he has a lot of nice rockwork and he won't be a douche.

You can get a very small hippo tang/yellow tang as well.

You can totally get an engineer goby. I had mine for a long time and he was perfectly okay with the sand. But like I said, key is to get a shoal and not one... because he will get bored and destructive. They are social fish.

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
... Are you serious?

Dude you can totally do a Royal Gramma, just make sure he has a lot of nice rockwork and he won't be a douche.

You can get a very small hippo tang/yellow tang as well.

You can totally get an engineer goby. I had mine for a long time and he was perfectly okay with the sand. But like I said, key is to get a shoal and not one... because he will get bored and destructive. They are social fish.

i dint say u cant get a royal grama, just that mine is a territorial jerk, and i have plenty of rockwork.

as for engineer gobys, they can grow to nearly two feet.

and buying a small tang .. they grow... my 65 is 4or 5yrs old. no tang stays small for ever.

MY advice is based on my experiance. also on how much I hate having to capture a fish and return it. because its to big, to mean, ect ect..

Mandarin and Diamond (sifter) gobys eat the same thing. having both ina 65 is bad idea. thats just the way it is.. I would also suggest a diamond goby, and no mandarin. they keep the sand clean and learn to eat prepared foods much better then mandarin.

Look you can put aything that fits into a 65. long term husbandry is a different story. I stand by my advice. choose smaller more docile fish. a 65 is a small tank.

sammy32lee

EL CRAZY G
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I have a engineer goby in my 65gal red sea max. Had him when he was like a 1" (1 year ago) now he's like 8" now. Yes he makes his tunnels and spits out all the rocks and sand. But I haven't had a problem with him. Hardest working guy in my tank. Also eats all the food off the sand.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Sorry to hear that your Royal Gramma is territorial, but it could be the fact he doesn't have anybody above him in the hierarchy and or enough caves to swim upside down in (ie. aquascaping to their habitat in the Carribbean).

I've added my fish with a method to my madness, so that everybody gets along. Still conditioning my Elbi Angel but he's getting a lot better.

Stan you've seen this. I can walk you through more in depth if you want.

I agree Tangs get bigger, but as mentioned in my other threads there are many factors. Also it's not like I'm telling him to put an Achilles or Clown Tang in there... lol. I also feel like the bigger they are... the easier they are to catch. My fish all willingly swim to my hand and I can easily grab them.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
If you get a mandarin I would stay away fromanother goby until the mandarin starts eating prepared foods. They would be competing for pods.
Also stay away from anthias in a tank that small.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Grammas are fine. Just make it the last one in. Cardinals and chalk bass are also nice. I like the bright blue of the blue chromis. Lots of gobies can fit into that tank. The yellow clown is really bright.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: