DrMusik

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
First of all, although I rarely post (still getting the hang of things) I frequently read through this forum and read most of the advice given to other people and have definitely picked up a deal or two. In the four months my tank has been running, my Zoa colonies have full grown out their frags and will hopefully spread over to the rockwork soon. My frogspawn has split not once but twice and my xenia is growing like crazy. Thank you guys for all your help.

However, the galaxy coral I picked up way in the beginning hasn't really done much of anything. It looks healthy with green arms and white tips and is often fully extended but has done nothing to grow or encrust. My turbo snail moved it around a few times so I stuck it to a rock with just a touch of hold fast. Is there anything I can do to help it grow out? I don't supplement with calcium but the salt I have comes with some.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The other corals, outside of the Frogspawn, are soft corals and don't need as much Cal & Alk to grow. To get the Galaxy to grow you need to make sure your Cal & Alk are at the correct level, feeding it will help too.

What are your Cal & Alk levels? Even though the salt has Alk & Cal your corals are using it up and you're going to need to add some to keep the levels up. Do a test and see what your levels currently are, from there you'll need to bring the levels up. Look into B-ionic 2 parts to do this.

You also need to be care with Galaxy, as it puts out sweeper tentacles which can kill other corals, so give it some room.

Last edited:

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
you want to make sure that your alkalinity is good just in general because that keeps the ph where it is supposed to be. The calcium is the issue, you need to suppliment with that if you are expecting to keep stony corals like the galaxea, you want it somewhere between 450 and 600 ppm but i usually try to keep it around 600.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
you want to make sure that your alkalinity is good just in general because that keeps the ph where it is supposed to be. The calcium is the issue, you need to suppliment with that if you are expecting to keep stony corals like the galaxea, you want it somewhere between 450 and 600 ppm but i usually try to keep it around 600.

What are you alk and Mg numbers to get 600 on the Ca? these numbers are unnatural and unsustainable..

Try keeping normal sea water levels and feed your coral, the mouths are there for a reason.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: