• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Fielder0024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My tanks been running for just about a week now. I have a Damsel and a newly added False Perc. I was thinking about adding an anemone to my tank because I know that clowns love them. Is it too soon to be adding it? If not, what would be a good type to buy?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
it is a lil to early to add anything in that tank but with some luck the fish in there hopefully survive, i dont like flaming people so i cant tell you to take the fish out but in honesty you need to let the tank cycle before adding fish in the tank and wait at least 6 months for an anenome as they are very hard to keep good luck though

Fielder0024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I bought the premade saltwater mix and let it cycle for 3 days before I put the damsel in. He looks like hes been doing fine and the clown seems fine too. I had the pH and everything checked and was told that everything was perfect so I figured that was all I needed. Should I keep an eye on the fish? or do you thing theyll be ok?

it is a lil to early to add anything in that tank but with some luck the fish in there hopefully survive, i dont like flaming people so i cant tell you to take the fish out but in honesty you need to let the tank cycle before adding fish in the tank and wait at least 6 months for an anenome as they are very hard to keep good luck though

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
A new SW tank needs to cycle before adding ANYTHING living to it. A cycle usually takes about 4 to 6 weeks. Please Google 'nitrogen cycle' for marine tanks.
You should have your own test kits (ammonia, nitrite & nitrate & PH) to watch your cycle and see the progress.
Typically after the cycle is finished you will add a clean up crew (CUC) , if all goes well with that you can add a fish.
An anenome is out of the question at this point, as there shouldn't even be fish in the tank yet. As mentioned you are looking at easily another months before your tank may be ready for an anenome, and then only if it is stable.

Buying pre-made SW is no substitute for cycling a tank unfortunately. It is basically no different than making your own SW at home using a salt mix.

Can you tell us more about the tank please?
Tank size and are you running a sump?
Lighting, equipment, skimmer, heater..etc - whatever you have.

I would suggest you purchase a really good book on SW tanks so you can learn what you need to know to set one of these up properly. I would suggest the following book:
The Contentious Aquarist by Robert Fenner

Fielder0024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A new SW tank needs to cycle before adding ANYTHING living to it. A cycle usually takes about 4 to 6 weeks. Please Google 'nitrogen cycle' for marine tanks.
You should have your own test kits (ammonia, nitrite & nitrate & PH) to watch your cycle and see the progress.
Typically after the cycle is finished you will add a clean up crew (CUC) , if all goes well with that you can add a fish.
An anenome is out of the question at this point, as there shouldn't even be fish in the tank yet. As mentioned you are looking at easily another months before your tank may be ready for an anenome, and then only if it is stable.

Buying pre-made SW is no substitute for cycling a tank unfortunately. It is basically no different than making your own SW at home using a salt mix.

Can you tell us more about the tank please?
Tank size and are you running a sump?
Lighting, equipment, skimmer, heater..etc - whatever you have.

I would suggest you purchase a really good book on SW tanks so you can learn what you need to know to set one of these up properly. I would suggest the following book:
The Contentious Aquarist by Robert Fenner

Im running a 24 gal nanocube with standard features except I have 2 atinic lightbulbs instead of one white. I have the koralai nano powerhead and havent needed a heater lately because my water temp has been around 78 since I started. Im assuming its because the fans are broken but the replacement pieces should be coming in tomorrow. After I replace them Ill c how the temp is. I tried running the biocube skimmer but couldnt get that to work so Im waiting on a member to send me pics of how he did it.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Fielder, unless the rock & sand you put in that tank were 100% already cycled, and even then you might get another mini cycle which is harmful to the fish. The 2 fish you put in are a bit hardy, and just might make it. But they will have to suffer through a cycle if the rocks & sand were not cured before placing them in the tank. God I hope they were!!!!
If your tank was just put together a week ago like you say with new sand, rocks, and water, and the lfs knew this please don't listen to another word they tells you.

As for the anemone, please read up on them! Although some are easier to care for then others, they still require a well established tank.
BTW, not all clowns take to all anemone!! You will also need to research what anemone will your clown must likely will accept. And even when you do have what you think is the perfect combo the clown may still reject the anemone, and choose some other coral.

Please do as KathyC suggested, and get yourself some good books.;)

Fielder0024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok. I will keep an eye on the fish for the next couple weeks and refrain from adding anything but some cleaners. The only reason I put those fish in were because I was told by my friend who also has a saltwater tank that those fish are hardy so they should be fine and that my tank seemed like it was ready. Hopefully they will be fine but if I see them starting to get sick or anything I will take them out immediately.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Things I have learned before getting my BTA.

Anemone need a stable well seasoned tank of at least 6-8 months.
They are very delicate and will show even experienced reefers where they are going wrong.

They process significant quantities of waste (poop) and are not recommended for Nano reefs unless you know exactly what you are doing.

They also demand strong lighting. Actinic lighting will definately not sustain them. There is also sufficient reason to believe PC lighting is not enough, though there is anecdotal evidence of people who have success with PC, T5 lighting is the minimum.

I have my BTA under 6 T5 lights in an 85 gallon system with a 500 GPH skimmer.
I consider that to be a good starting point for a nem.

Last edited:

Fielder0024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Things I have learned before getting my BTA.

Anemone need a stable well seasoned tank of at least 6-8 months.
They are very delicate and will show even experienced reefers where they are going wrong.

They process significant quantities of waste (poop) and are not recommended for Nano reefs unless you know exactly what you are doing.

They also demand strong lighting. Actinic lighting will definately not sustain them. There is also sufficient reason to believe PC lighting is not enough, though there is anecdotal evidence of people who have success with PC, T5 lighting is the minimum.

I have my BTA under 6 T5 lights in an 85 gallon system with a 500 GPH skimmer.
I consider that to be a good starting point for a nem.

So are there any anemones that are a little easier to take care of?

Fielder0024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes! Rock anemone, but I have yet to see one host a clown. Plus they stay small!

That sucks. I guess the only thing I can do for now is just wait and see what happens with these guys. Im sure over time Ill learn a lot more about the anemones and hopefully will be able to get one eventually.

irvp13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Give the tank sometime to mature maybe 6 to 8 months if params and everything is going fine. You'd need to change your bulbs for 10K, both of them and then you can start looking for nems. Its very important to read and investigate about what we want to put in our tanks.

Personally I've had two BTAs the first one did OK for 4 months until I had a major disaster during a vacation. The second one took a long time to settle down after that it shrank a little bit and then started growing and its been happy for the last year or more.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Fielder, unless the rock & sand you put in that tank were 100% already cycled, and even then you might get another mini cycle which is harmful to the fish. The 2 fish you put in are a bit hardy, and just might make it. But they will have to suffer through a cycle if the rocks & sand were not cured before placing them in the tank.

I'm sorry Awilda, but many folks start their new tank off with rock that has already been cycled - and the tank still needs to go through its 4 week (or so) cycle before adding any living creature in there.
I'd think he is looking at more than a mini-cycle here with a brand new tank :(

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Fielder dont worry about an anemone to make your clownfish happy. They can live normal and completely happy lives without them.

Also just because you do put an anemone in thetank there is no guarantee that the anemone will host the clowns. Some people put a nem in their tank and their clowns never wind up in it. My clowns took 3 weeks of my anemone being in the tank fro my clowns to realize and to "move in", but like I said theres no guarantee that a clown ever will just because theres one there.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
quot-top-left.gif
Quote:
quot-top-right.gif
quot-by-left.gif
Originally Posted by Awibrandy
quot-by-right.gif
quot-top-right-10.gif
Fielder, unless the rock & sand you put in that tank were 100% already cycled, and even then you might get another mini cycle which is harmful to the fish. The 2 fish you put in are a bit hardy, and just might make it. But they will have to suffer through a cycle if the rocks & sand were not cured before placing them in the tank.
quot-bot-left.gif
quot-bot-right.gif

I'm sorry Awilda, but many folks start their new tank off with rock that has already been cycled - and the tank still needs to go through its 4 week (or so) cycle before adding any living creature in there.
I'd think he is looking at more than a mini-cycle here with a brand new tank :(

Kathy, may statement states that he might still have a mini cycle with full 100% cycle/cured rocks & sand sort of like transferring from one tank to another. Mini cycle meaning 2 to 3 weeks, and not the standard 6 weeks.;)
I respectfully disagree on all tanks having to go through a complete cycle when started out with fully cured rocks & sand.:) This would all depend on wether the rocks & sand were exposed to air, and for how long.
You guys had already told the OP that there shouldn't be any living animal in the tank, there was no need for me to reiterate what had already been stated.

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Also something to consider- clownfish are not limited to hosting in anemones. A lot of times they will also host in LPS corals (hammers, duncans, even mushrooms.) When your tank is ready for livestock, a couple heads of a hammer or something be a better option.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Start with some common yellow polyps or soft corals. There are some cool mushrooms to gain some expeeience with. The largest requirement for reef tanks is patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
KathyC

I would def agree with you about a cycle of some sort with a new tank.

I have to respectfully disagree with you about the NSW. There is a complete and total difference between NSW and Pre mixed.

Fielder which kind of water did you use?

By the way people the water that you buy in petco is supplied by the leading filterer (sp) of NSW on the west coast. This water is used by aquariums all up and down the west coast and it well known for its quality over pre mixed water or self mixed

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: