JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I would def agree with you about a cycle of some sort with a new tank.

I have to respectfully disagree with you about the NSW. There is a complete and total difference between NSW and Pre mixed.

Fielder which kind of water did you use?

By the way people the water that you buy in petco is supplied by the leading filterer (sp) of NSW on the west coast. This water is used by aquariums all up and down the west coast and it well known for its quality over pre mixed water or self mixed

WOW!! He sounded like he was a 9th grade science teacher and we were his students LOL Listen up people! homework assignment for tonight is to research the source used for PETCOS water. LMAO

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Jimmy

Do your f'in home work LOL

its not talking to someone like a teacher. This guy asked a question and got three different answers. I am trying to clarify between NSW and pre mixed water.

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I would def agree with you about a cycle of some sort with a new tank.

I have to respectfully disagree with you about the NSW. There is a complete and total difference between NSW and Pre mixed.

By the way people the water that you buy in petco is supplied by the leading filterer (sp) of NSW on the west coast. This water is used by aquariums all up and down the west coast and it well known for its quality over pre mixed water or self mixed

Ok Rare...I'll bite :)
Where does it say he got the water at Petco? I just re-read the thread about 11 times, and know I need new glasses but...I still don't see it there...and my crystal ball is currently in the shop for repair, no idea when they'll have it fixed for me ;)

He could have gotten pre-made SW at a LFS, or from a buddy, or even from Petco, but the OP didn't give us that info..yet anyway.

I do have a question for ya though!
Are you implying that if a person ...starts off with a new tank and uses live rock (that hopefully stayed very wet from the time of purchase to getting into the new tank), and used live sand (which we already know is probably something less than actually alive after sitting on a store shelf for who knows how long) and also uses NSW from Petco - made by Catalina! :))) ( I'm just having fun with ya on that ;)), that the tank will barely have a cycle?

btw - our OP has never mentioned sand...lol we're just making an assumption on that.

Gosh - I wish he would drop by and fill us in on how it's going!!:tub:

Fielder0024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ya I totally forgot to write the live sand too. I have about 12 Pounds of live sand also. Everything went straight into the tank straight from the store but the rock was out of water for about half hour before i put it into the tank with water. Also, I bought the premade water at an LFS not petco.

fallenlordz

Cant hear you under Water
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
If you still want a anemone, you can get a Torch Coral or Elegance Coral instead - Once everything is fully stable in your tank.

You still get that nice free flowing movements with these corals, without the more extensive requirements needed for anemones.

My 2 clowns just host my huge colony of pulsing xenias - alot easier to maintain, then to deal with self moving and stinging anemones in my opinion.

irvp13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Anemones are not easy but IMO definitely worth the hassle. If you decide to put one make sure your tank is mature and that you can move things around to accomodate its roaming around.

Regarding the fully cured rock Kathy. If the rock wasnt exposed to air for along time I guess the necessary bacteria is already in the tank, ready to eat the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates as soon as presented. The only question would be if the rock has enough of each to support the bio load. If not a mini cycle would happen.

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0

Kathy re read my post, I asked what type of water he used in the first post.

Also i didnt say he wouldnt have a cycle, but it may not be as noticeable or even as hard as a tank cycled with brand new stuff.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
If you still want a anemone, you can get a Torch Coral or Elegance Coral instead - Once everything is fully stable in your tank.

You still get that nice free flowing movements with these corals, without the more extensive requirements needed for anemones.

elegance IMO is more sensitive to change and have a higher tendancy to not survive.. the australian one does better but very touchy still..

if he wants a nem, he should wait the propper time, do the reasearch on the one he wants or the best one to host his clown.. and go from there..

read, research and ask lots of questions first!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: