canorojas

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 50%
2   2   0
im setting up a 125g reef aquarium (my first saltwater!!). after all the research about sumps, I still have a few basic questions that cannot figure out. my budget is very short so going for DIY stuff.

-is 29g sump enough for my 125g?
-whats the best way to divide the tank for a sump? seen many different ways to do it and cannot understand which one to go for.
-anyone have a step by step great DIY sump site?
-if i dont want to do a hole on the 125 tank, is an overflow hanging box what I need?? what size?
-do i need to put a light on the sump too??
-any advice on protein skimmers? size, brand, etc?

have plenty more to ask but for now I guess is a good start.
Many thanks!!!!

Last edited:

topmav1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
im setting up a 125g reef aquarium (my first saltwater!!). after all the research about sumps, I still have a few basic questions that cannot figure out. my budget is very short so going for DIY stuff.

-is 29g sump enough for my 125g?-
-whats the best way to divide the tank for a sump? seen many different ways to do it and cannot understand which one to go for.
-anyone have a step by step great DIY sump site?
-if i dont want to do a hole on the 125 tank, is an overflow hanging box what I need?? what size?
-do i need to put a light on the sump too?? Not really. If you go with a refugium sump then yes.
-any advice on protein skimmers? size, brand, etc?

have plenty more to ask but for now I guess is a good start.

Many thanks!!!!

The biggest that will fit in your stand.]Sump.
Melevs reef is good.
Yes but not sure what size. There are different sizes for the rate of water flowing from the tank to the sump.Hang on Overflow. Google everything.

Someone else can answer you better but figured I'd start things off.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
No a refugium is not a must- but is helpful. It will give the pods a sanctuary to thrive in and then some of them will wind up getting into the display tank to feed its inhabitants. Will also be a place that the macro algae will help keep nitrates under control as well. Good luck

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: