DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My clam is on the sandbed and I just notices he is on his side. I have heard that this will happen if you don't put a rock under him in the substrate which I have not done. Do I need to stand it back up or just let him do his thing?

chuck116

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Just my opinion , I have had my clam about a year now. I carefully wedged him in the sand about a quarter of an inch and left him there . He seems happy . ocassionally i have to reposition him due to flow moving the sand, but when and if I do im very careful. JUst my 2 cents. I would stand him up and if he moves just set him straight.
Good luck Chuck & Anna Maria

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
Leave them in the sand depending on the clam. I have 3 clams and the only one that seems to stay still is the deressa. But make sure you watch out for sand or any other debree that may be on the clam. Blow it off. But you should be fine

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
pick him up.. always help a brotha when its down...lol

Haha that's what I was thinking, but he is only on his side a little and it faces the front of the tank more so I can see the patterns better and he's more open than he had been. If it isn't going to harm him I might just leave him for a little while and then adjust if it looks like he's getting pissed.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
The majority of clams (you don't say what type you have) are either totally or primarily photosynthentic feeders, better to stand him back up.

Some small rock rubble around his base will allow his foot to attach to them and help maintain his upright position.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I wouldn't worry to much! Clams can move on their own if they are uncomfortable. My maxi moves! Anywhere I put it, it always manages to come back to the bottom middle of the bow in my bow front up against the glass.lol I've tried burying a flat rock, clam shell in the sand under it, and it never even attempted to attach itself. I've put it up in the rocks, and it just jumps off back down to the sand. So now that is where it stays. This is where there is the least light without being in total shade.

Perhaps your's is getting to much light, and therefor it has turned sideways in order to deal with it.:scratchch Just thinking cause I have no answer for you.lol
Are there any fish that could be knocking it over on it's side?

BTW, how long have you had the clam?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: