Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
I added 158 pounds of cured Fiji live rock to my 120 gallon aquarium exactly 60 days ago purchased from the LFS. Ammonia has spiked and come down to 0 a few weeks ago. Nitrite has been bouncing back and forth from 0.1 to 0.25 for about 4 weeks now after spiking, but so far has not hit 0. Nitrate is at 100ppm and has been stuck there for 4 weeks now. I have not been doing water changes as many have suggested I wait until both Ammonia and Nitrite readings are 0. I clean the filter socks twice a week and used RO/DI to fill the tank initially and continue to use it for top offs. I have no live stock in the tank (other than a few tiny live rock hitch hikers that do not seem to be bothered by the high Nitrate levels) and did not use Live Sand but do have a DSB. The water looks crystal clear and all other water paramenters are normal. I added activated carbon 24 hours ago to see if that helps (Chemi-pure). I am using the Salifert single test kits. Should I begin water changes now or continue to wait? Thanks.

UPDATE: Okay everyone. Not sure if you guys are still monitoring this post. I have confirmed that my test kits are working properly. Please check out these readings:
Tests Using only fresh RO/DI water:
NITRITE - 0
NITRATE - 10
Tests Using aquarium water:
NITRITE - 0.25
NITRATE - 100
I'm going to take the chance and begin doing weekly water changes starting this weekend but apparently my tank does still have low levels of Nitrites. Crazy stuff after 2 months. Maybe my live rock was of poor quality. The LFS said they just received the shipment a week before I purchased it. Anyway, hopefully over time I can hit 0 on both of these.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Killerdrgn,
I have not been adding anything at all to the tank. Maybe I first need to verify my test kits are working properly as Beerfish suggested. I never tried using another kit or testing on fresh RO/DI water. But since the kits did show the peaking of Nitrites some weeks back and the rise of Nitrates in the first month, that may be a long shot. Still worth a try though.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
But since the kits did show the peaking of Nitrites some weeks back and the rise of Nitrates in the first month, that may be a long shot. Still worth a try though.

If the kits are coming up a little high on the readings, you still would have seen the nitrites peak. Test kits don't usually stop working all together, they just become inaccurate. (i.e. your level could be 8 and your kit reads 10, so when it's at 0 it reads 2)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try a different test kit and see what the readings are. If the test kit turns out to be fine, maybe I should try cleaning the filter socks daily or even remove them altogether to see what happens. If that fails, I will begin water changes even if Nitrite levels are still detectable. Do you guys all use filter socks? Some folks stopped using them because of high Nitrate problems.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Does not sound right. This was cured rock. No way it takes this long to cycle nitrites down to zero. I vote for bad test kit. I once used uncured live rock and it didn't take that long to get nitrites down to zero.
You will have to do water changes to get nitrates down. And maybe something more in order to keep it down as you are trying.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
My guess is that you are fully cycled. I'd start doing a series of large water changes to bring the nitrates under control and then you should be good to go. I commend your patience and desire to do it right from the start. That approach should serve you well as you move forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the rock as cured from the LFS and placed it directly in my new tank an hour after purchase. The skimmer has been running for 4 weeks already pulling about 6 ounces of skimmate a week. I was disappointed when there was no change in Nitrate levels after turning on the skimmer, but I'll keep at this.

You have all been a great help. I will post back here within the next two days to let you know if my Nitrite and Nitrate test kits are not working properly. Also, I will begin preparing to do a water change. Thanks to you guys at least I have a few things I can try now.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Okay everyone. Not sure if you guys are still monitoring this post. I have confirmed that my test kits are working properly. Please check out these readings:
Tests Using only fresh RO/DI water:
NITRITE - 0
NITRATE - 10
Tests Using aquarium water:
NITRITE - 0.25
NITRATE - 100
I'm going to take the chance and begin doing weekly water changes starting this weekend but apparently my tank does still have low levels of Nitrites. Crazy stuff after 2 months. Maybe my live rock was of poor quality. The LFS said they just received the shipment a week before I purchased it. Anyway, hopefully over time I can hit 0 on both of these.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Well, if you're using RO/DI water the nitrates should be zero, so that test kit is misreading or your RO membrane needs replacing. Not sure why your nitrites would still be elevated, but you should be ok to begin water changes. Just take it slow and get the nitrates down, then retest.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, agreed. Not sure why the Nitrates did not show 0 with the RO/DI water test. I was surprised myself. Either the RO/DI unit is not working as it should or there may still be a question related to my Nitrate testing kit. I will investigate that further. Thanks again for helping me out. Water changes here I come.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: