pyekhine

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
2 out of my 3 tangs got some sort of bumpy stuff on their belly.. is it ich? they eat and swim normal.. colors look normal, too....

And i have a thin oil film on teh surface... help me get rid of it. I tried so many ways. I scoop it out... i have overflow but it seems to be there all the time.. .is it from the frozen food?

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
The film on the water surface can be from the frozen food, you should try rinsing the food in water first. The way I do it is I get a cup of aquarium water and defrost the food in the cup, then I pour the water threw a net to catch all the food without using the water. As far as the bumps on the fish it will be very hard to tell you exactly what it is with out a pic.

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Clean the area around the 'teeth' in your overflows, on the outside AND the inside (a brand new toothbrush is good for this). Also rinse your frozen food in RO or new SW and squeeze out the excess fluid before feeding. Pellet food also tends to leave a film on the water if you over-do it.

Definitely need a pic of the fish to help with your other question.

pyekhine

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ok.. this isn't my hippo...i tried taking pic but didn't work... it is similar to that belly. My purple tang also has that kind of belly, too. They have been scratching themselves with rocks. They are eating and swimming well.

Attachments

• hippo.jpg
    hippo.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 138

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
sbd told me that is it wavy and moving around the skin...i've seen fw ich but never seen sw ich.... plus they are scratching against rocks.
Scratching can mean a problem but not always. If it is wavy and moving around it is just some garbage stuck to them. Ich drills into the fish and doesn't move anywhere until the stage completes and it falls off.

TonyHNY

Back from a break
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
If you have a DSLR or some fancier cameras, you can try taking a rapid shooting mode where you can shoot multiple pictures on the press of the button. You'll need a good amount of light. That's how I usually catch the dolphins and whales performance.... if it is ich, you should see a lot covering the entire fish by now...

cjosephson66

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is what ich looks like on a chromis

I read all the posts and the article on Marine Ich but I am confused. I think my blue green chromis has it. Here are some pictures (the best I can get). The head has these white bumps and the tail has 1. The only thing I don't get is that the fish is eating fine and does not rub up against rocks or hang out on the top of the water. My tank is in the 4th week of cycling (yes I know not to put damsels and chromis in when cycling - I will never listen to friends again). But my ammonia is almost nothing and the nitrate is not high either (I test these everyday). I still have a little cyanobacteria on the back wall but since I did the water change on Saturday (like I do every week) it's starting to disappear. The other 3 damsels don't have anything so I'm wondering if that's what this is.

Thanks.

Attachments

• S1010002.jpg
    S1010002.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 76
  • S1010004.jpg
    S1010004.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 78
  • S1010007.jpg
    S1010007.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

cjosephson66

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ that looks like lymphocytes

So if it is lymphocystis, I really can't do anything about it according to the following articles except water changes and treat for secondary infections. My fish are already on a shrimp and flake diet so the nutrition is there. My chromis is eating healthy and it seems that today the bumps are no longer on his head so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Lawler_Lymphocystis.html
http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/saltwaterfishdiseases/a/aalymphocystis.htm

Thanks for the info.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: