Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
However you managed to "obtain" it doesn't matter. A few years back the two guys that own Caribsea were slapped with huge fines and community service for illegally importing a large quantity of caribbean live rock that they were not permitted to collect in the first place. They also had to write letters of apology explaining what they had done and why it was wrong in several major hobbyist publications.

Yes, even the live rock is protected down there. If you don't know what the laws are or even what areas they cover and where they don't you're better off leaving it in the ocean.

I mean seriously, have you never heard of google????? They tend to hide this sort of information on the internet and a quick 30 second search could save you a ton of money on your illegal importation fines, and maybe your car insurance.

Chris Jury

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a dying Porites asteroides, with some attached Halimeda sp. as mentioned above. Collecting this coral in the Bahamas was illegal. Smuggling it into the U.S. was illegal. Both carry stiff penalties (fines on the order of tens of thousands of dollars, and possible jail time).

Illegally collecting and smuggling in this coral was an incredibly bad idea, if only from a legal perspective. You're very lucky you're safe at home right now, and not in custody (here or in the Bahamas). I've seen people get busted by Fisheries and Wildlife after posting information like this on the internet though. It may be worthwhile to contact FWS with a 'hypothetical' situation wherein someone collected a coral illegally on vacation and brought it into the U.S. and ask their advice about the best course of action for that person. Perhaps sacrificing the specimen voluntarily would keep them from taking legal action??? I have no idea, but I would suggest finding out what the best options for you are.

As for everyone else I would just say, beware. Illegally collecting and transporting corals (or any wildlife) can be financially devastating, and maybe even land you jail time. It's definitely not worth it.

Chris

p.s. The coral SHOULD have been left in the Bahamas. Saying so isn't rude, it's prudent, and I for one am not going to STFU about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: