Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you decide on what kind of tank you want to do? I want to do a reef tank with snails, crabs, clams, and fish... But the problem I have I do not know how to decide on what kind of corals.. I have been told that you cannot mix LPS and SPS. So what is one to do? Also how should my power heads be pointed? Directly onto the rocks or up to create a sorta wave? :givebeer:

chuck116

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
If your just starting out with corals , start with some easy or starter corals , like kenya trees , or mushooms or zoas. I think you will be happier with easier corals then going right to some of the harder lps or sps. As far as flow , you want enough current to keep detritis from building up on your corals, but not enought to create a sand storm or blow your corals off your rocks. the easier corals dont require as much flow as sps . Good luck in your choices.

Chuck & Anna Maria

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also on a 120g Tank (48x24x24) what kind of power heard and how many you think there should be? right now I have 2 Koralia Evolution 1050.. Should I trash those and go with Tunze that everyone else so loves or go top notch and save up for a VorTech?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
The Evolution pumps will be fine with a softy tank. The Evolution 1050 are kind of small for more flow dependent coral such as sps though.

IMO the VorTechs are much more suitable for any tank, any coral. They are adjustable flow and can therefore be used with tanks housing softy's, LPS and/or SPS. BTW, mixed reefs with LPS and SPS are extremely common....and successful, if done properly. I say, 'if done properly' because I've seen exclusively SPS tanks with no LPS at all that are total failures. So just because you have one or the other type of coral doesn't mean you'll have a successful tank. It comes down to much more than flow. Don't forget, you need appropriate lighting, parameters, nutrient export, husbandry, flow, aqauascaping, etc.

In your 120g tank, one VorTech MP40w ES will work fine. Two will offer more wavelike control, but is unnecessary if coral placement is done properly.

Best of luck,
Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: