Acone15

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, any good overflow or sump ideas/instructions/web sites? I would like to keep the cost down. I would like to set something up to do easy water changes. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone4 using Reefs

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Buy a 20 high..used is fine but they only cost like 20 bucks new. Get a piece of glass and cut pieces that will fit inside it and silicone them it's a very simple process really. I'm actually about to do the same thing myself.
ONE VERY IMPORTANT TIP!
DO NOT USE JUST ANY SILICONE!

I am not sure offhand the type of silicone that is aquarium safe because most of it is NOT and will literally kill everything in your tank. Don't even bother with a hardware store.

However there is a perfectly simple solution..go to any petstore and buy "all glass aquarium" silicone..small tube is fine it's only like $4. Petland,petco,petsmart etc. they should all carry it. You will not need that much as you are only placing a few baffles and not building a monster tank. Anything else just ask.

Good luck!

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
As for overflows, I understand you want to keep costs down. If you decide to buy one, the best one out there is from LifeReef. The reason, is they never leak and I have heard of people not losing suction for years....

I have one and it is awesome. However, I would recommend the durso attachment, otherwise it is noisy.

On other vendors, I have seen good and bad reviews. Also, some of these types of overflows, will lose prime during a power outage and even need to be reprimed, so that you have to run a pump with it, to make sure prime comes back on.

Sometimes, the LifeReef overflows are sold used and people snatch them up quickly.

Just remember, that a number of times, people have had problems with their overflows, so buying a great product from a vendor, may be easier in the long run.

PS. Please, save yourself a lot of trouble and don't plan on running a lot of flow through your return pump. That can cause micro-bubbles and be bad for your tank.

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Ever think about drilling your tank? It'll be effective in the long run in my opinion. Overflows are bulky and take up space. I drilled my tank and I was very happy I did instead of buying an overflow.

If you want to use a 20 gallon as a sump, I recommend a 20 LONG since there will be more space for you to put in equipment, refuge, etc. Here's what mine looks like.
It is a 20 gallon sump.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/79146-richardhmcs-50-gallon-tank.html

Acone15

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I drill the tank if I empty some water out? I feel like it would make a mess.
Well after some measuring I determined that only a 10 gallon would fit, sideways. Here's what I'm working with. Any ideas welcome. I feel like the tank sideways might make my plumbing harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 143

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Hahahaha kathy c, your 2 days to late! Hahaha

Darned shame too, had I seen this post I would have posted AND fired you off a PM saying ..don't drill a tank with water in it... :(

..it makes a heck of a story to tell though! Good that you didn't get cut by the glass!

..and the next time you have a brainstorm about a way to do something differently than the way it is commonly done, please start a new thread (so it's noticable) so we can offer up advice first ;)

Acone15

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kathy, I did. It's somewhere on her. Starts with " FML" which means Fu(k my life. Lol thanks you anywase. Def a lesson learned and a story to tell. Too bad the guy that lives under me isn't in to aquariums to much. :0/ lol well at least he get a new painted ceiling out of the deal.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 51

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: