• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kimbaco6

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a 29 gallon biocube and need to adjust the standard filtration.

Is it true that carbon is not necessary in a reef tank?

This crappy standard filter with carbon is awful. I replaced it with a layer of bagged charcoal and then sponges, but am not sure if I did this correctly, and now am reading that I shouldn't have charcoal at all in a reef tank. Thoughts?

I have read about others taking out the trickle bio ball section (also not great for a reef tank, correct?) and turning it into a refugium. I suppose that's the way to go?

Thank you!

kimbaco6

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Oh, and I just got a protein skimmer, but I got the one made for the biocube and it's not great either. Can't figure out a good spot for it. Does it matter where it goes? Can it go where the bioballs currently are?

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I would check out Nano-Reef.com and talk to a bunch of reefers with your setup. I recently bought the Tunze 9002 skimmer and think it is great. However, it took a while for me to dial it in, to where I was happy.

Also, I like to use some filter floss, that I change weekly. This is like a sponge that traps dirt and I clean it for a week and replace it.

Also, water changes are great for keeping water quality high. Make sure to not have a heavy bio load and don't feed fish too heavy.

Also, not sure this will work for you, but you may be able to get accessories from a guy called StevieT. He makes some stuff such as small media sections for reef tanks, etc. I use his cup for my Tunze 9002.

Good luck.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I removed all the bioballs from my BC29 when I started it. Over time it'll become a nitrate factory, as well as trap detritus. Here's a huge Biocube resource guide http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180788

I run a nano reactor for GFO and poly filter pad (cut down to size for my purpose) that I swap out every waterchange.

Like Seldin mentioned, In-Tank (StevieT) makes some really nice mediabaskets for the Biocube series you can consider. The mediabaskets will require you to remove the false floor in the 2nd chamber. In-Tank has the install videos on his website that will show you how to remove the false floor.

My configuration is:

Chamber 1 (False floor removed): Heater, Sapphire Aquatics Reactor (GFO), pH/Temp probe
Chamber 2 (False floor removed, factory filter pad removed): Sapphire Aquatics Skimmer, Poly Filter Pad
Chamber 3: Return pump

A reactor isn't a must, running Chemipure Elite works fine as well.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Kimba,

Any time.

Carbon is a must. I sometimes read the Advanced Aquariast online. Great free magazine. Very technical. The concept is change carbon every month, really helps. Does not solve 100%. After research, I found, that many things make incremental improvements. However, add up the incremental improvements and it works well.

So make many small improvements. Good skimmer, CUC, water changes, good water flow, good lighting, etc.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Cut out all of the bioballs and the sponges. Runn some Chemipure elite in the overflow chamber and put the skimmer in the center compartment if it fits there. Use the Biocube Filter cartridges as well in the back compartment as well.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
A long time reefer likes sponges and used them differently than was recommended by the documentation on the filter. He would wash them in salt water weekly and clean them out. I do the same thing and am always surprised with how much gunk I remove with them.

The next advice is to vacuum your sand every couple of months. This advice is debatable and I like to do it. The really removes the crud in the tank. I do a small section and would every once in a while move around the tank.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Got a JBJ 28 Cube....took the carbon out, put filter floss in. Got ceramic rings in one of my chambers but only because I havent gotten around to taking them out (I'm not really convinced they are doing anything positive or negative). Also using some PO4 pads to help absorb phosphates.

Chemipure elite is always a good alternative to carbon and i'm sure would be recommended by many here, I tried it but didnt really notice any difference.

Jakef150

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
hi,

I have a biocube 29.

I m using SteveT mediabasket with fuge basket (for cheato) and its AWESOME and highly recommend.

never having problem with nitrite and phos. Test are always showing ZERO.

I m using purgin, chemi pure elite, floss with mediabasket.

Chemi-pure elite to replace every 3-4 months.

I changed floss every 3-4 days..

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube-29_c16.htm

If you have NEWER biocube 29 then you dont need fish saver becuase bio-29 already has it.

Jake

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I do not have experience with chemipure.

I know from reading Articles in Advanced Aquarist that Carbon, GFO, skimmer and water changes are good things and proven to reduce phosphates, etc.

For anybody, wanting a quick research on the above topics, you can go to BulkReefSupply and click on videos for carbon, GFO, etc.

As far as filter floss, there is a lot of discussion on this on Nano-reef.com and many people use it and like it. Some, get compatible type products, so they can change it frequently and it cost a lot less.

As long as you research what you are doing, that goes a long way to help with maintenance and health of reef.

One thing that I try to do, is not use things that I can not test for, or commercial products that I do not know what is in them. Does not mean they are not good, but I like to know what is inside, etc.

Good luck,

- Larry

----------------------------------------
Got a JBJ 28 Cube....took the carbon out, put filter floss in. Got ceramic rings in one of my chambers but only because I havent gotten around to taking them out (I'm not really convinced they are doing anything positive or negative). Also using some PO4 pads to help absorb phosphates.

Chemipure elite is always a good alternative to carbon and i'm sure would be recommended by many here, I tried it but didnt really notice any difference.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I talked to StevieT. I am waiting for a media basket for the Solana... It's on his todo list.

-------------------------------------------------------------

hi,

I have a biocube 29.

I m using SteveT mediabasket with fuge basket (for cheato) and its AWESOME and highly recommend.

never having problem with nitrite and phos. Test are always showing ZERO.

I m using purgin, chemi pure elite, floss with mediabasket.

Chemi-pure elite to replace every 3-4 months.

I changed floss every 3-4 days..

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube-29_c16.htm

If you have NEWER biocube 29 then you dont need fish saver becuase bio-29 already has it.

Jake

OOtzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
A long time reefer likes sponges and used them differently than was recommended by the documentation on the filter. He would wash them in salt water weekly and clean them out. I do the same thing and am always surprised with how much gunk I remove with them.

The next advice is to vacuum your sand every couple of months. This advice is debatable and I like to do it. The really removes the crud in the tank. I do a small section and would every once in a while move around the tank.

I completely agree. I use a sponge, chemipure elite with a bag of phosban on top and in the 3rd a bag of crushed coral. skimmer optional

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: