• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I currently have a 135 tank 72x18x25 , I am looking to down grade and am debating between buying a 75 gallon tank or setting up the 40 breeder I currently have.

Pros of the 75 I see are that I could use my current sump and equipment. Only thing I'd need is the tank, light, stand.

Pros of the 40 It's a lot smaller and I already have it, but would need more components.

Equipment I have:

Asm g2 skimmer
Sump 48 x 16 x 16
Mag 12 return

Also if I did the 75 I'd have to figure out how to fit the sump in the stand since it'd be a very tight fit.

I was thinking about a 90, but like the lower height of the 75.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
...So you already have the 40, but how long till you are going to be going crazy to upgrade? It is something you have to know about yourself - are you going to make yourself crazy wishing you had started larger? Either way you're going to be making an investment, it's not like you've got a complete set-up already (or is it?)

Someone once told me that at the beginning, I should get the largest tank for the space that I had (that I could afford, obviously) so that I could "grow into it."

you have to know yourself. One consideration might be to share - why are you downgrading? Is it too big for the space?

The great thing about a smaller tank is that it is less maintenance and looks full with less stuff. Drawback - you have to keep fewer smaller fish. I have both a 75 and a 29, and I have to say, I love each of them for different reasons. I have a lot more diversity in the 75, but the 29 is a totally different look, and I love it.

I guess what that means is that no matter which way you go, you can love your new tank, just take your own design intent in mind and go with what will work for what you want.

(hope that was not totally unhelpful ;) )

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: