SethKim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hello reefers, latest topic Achilles tang!!!!!
I love this fish!!! and I'm sure I'm not the only one!!! I also know that I'm not the only one who failed to keep this fish alive, so knowing how delicate the fish is and how it can plague the entire community of fish, so I wanted to hear from fellow reefers whom had success in keeping them thriving!!!!

Lets hear it from A to Z!!!!
by the way, how did they get so expensive from 10 years ago???

Attachments

• tang_achilles1.jpg
    tang_achilles1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 22,714

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The key to keep them is having a large tank, at least 6' long, and good water quality and good water movement. It's very important to pick a good specimen. You want one that is clean and eating, no signs of ich or scraps/scratches on the body, and the fish is acting normal, not hiding and swimming crazy. It's probably best to find a small one, as it will adapt to the tank better than a larger one. Tank mates are also important, as they can be very aggressive, even attacking large Triggers. So you should really be careful what other tangs you place in the tank with it and it's best that it's the most aggressive tang in the tank. The main key is keeping them stress free, no problems with tank mates, and a lot of space and room to swim.

Last edited:

bbreef240

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
i had one in my 240 gallon for at least 2 years ..along with a powder blue ,purple tang,two yellow tangs,two hippo tangs,sailfin tang and a mimic tang and had a little fighting in the beginning but after a week or so they all got along...it was awsome ...i think the key is good water ,strong flow ,and i had a ton of tonga branch rock and other rock that i made lots of caves from the bottom to the top of the tank leaving enough room for them to swim all over....so it is very possable....i am now working on my new 500 gallon tank and i am sad to say that i know longer have all of those tangs....i lost the powder blue and the achillies when i moved them to a new holding tank....so look forward to seeing pics of my new 500..cause i will be replaceing my tangs and there will be more ....thank you and good luck....

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I have never had any problems with an Achilles, Like Marrone said above it all starts with selecting the right fish. Both of mine were around 3-4"s when I bought them. They were bought at seperate time though. Both were QT'd in a 75, but I used no Meds on them, I put them in and waited 2 months before they went into the DT's. One went into my 265, The second one(remember they were never together at any point) Which was bought 6 months later, needed treatment and was later put into my 125. The tang in the 265 lasted around 8 years and the later tank was giving away around 3 years later. Those are the only 2 I have ever had any experience with.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
I haven't hadn't kept these fish but know reefers who have and have kept tangs (both good and bad experiences). But I feel like there are universal rules.

1. Like any other fish, make sure you get a healthy one.
2. What you feed the fish matters. Feed food that will boost its immune system (however minimal it is) and also keep the diet as close to it is in nature (so for a tang you must throw in some veggies--as it helps in decreasing aggression)
3. Water movement and space are essential. You want to make sure your fish gets a good "workout."
4. Aquascaping does matter. Make sure you have a mixture of open space when the fish wants to get a little crazy and caves and crevices so it can hide and feel secure in when it sleeps or gets freaked out.

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
The key to keep them is having a large tank, at least 6' long, and good water quality and good water movement. It's very important to pick a good specimen. You want one that is clean and eating, no signs of ich or scraps/scratches on the body, and the fish is acting normal, not hiding and swimming crazy. It's probably best to find a small one, as it will adapt to the tank better than a larger one. Tank mates are also important, as they can be very aggressive, even attacking large Triggers. So you should really be careful what other tangs you place in the tank with it and it's best that it's the most aggressive tang in the tank. The main key is keeping them stress free, no problems with tank mates, and a lot of space and room to swim.
+1
IMHO, this fish should be left in Hawaii. Its ships poorly, acclimates slowly and get ick with the least amount of stress, and as stated above needs a LARGE tank and vibrant water movement. My other suggestion would be if you do buy one see if you can pick the fish up as soon as it comes in and avoid acclimating it twice.
Have fun

nycmat

nYo
Rating - 98.2%
55   1   0
keep this one in the ocean if your not advanced. to many come in damaged or has been subjected to copper filled store water. just my opinion. good luck if you have to. high flow, veggie flakes soaked in garlic extreme extract, 6ft tank minimum with no copper at all. i kept one for a long time. oh tank mates cannot bother it either.

1UCKY

Niko's Dad
Rating - 100%
128   0   0
I got my first ever Achilles Tang 2 months ago today from a vendor on here. He's 3" and has been eating eating since day one; he's currently in a 300g FOWLR with a lot of live rock and great water flow. Only issue I've had with him was with my Hippo Tang; it kept chasing and nipping his fins until I finally pulled him out (Hippo that is). Eventhough he was getting attacked, he continues to eat like a champ.....

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I would say that a 125gal tank is too small, especially with LR and fish in the tank and Achilles do get to be a pretty good size. As for tankmates, you don't want to place any Tangs with it that are going to be aggressive, unless you have a very large tank. I wouldn't place any of the tangs from the Acanthurus family with it, unless it's the Convict tang or maybe an Orange Shoulder tang. Most of those Tangs get very large and aggressive over time. Sailfin & Naso would probably also work as would Rabbit/Foxface, Angels and Wrasses.

dj ze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
i just picked up one today from absolutely fish today its the first time i ever saw one their and i have been going their for a couple of years.well he is stunning has a perfect color and size eats really good they had him for 2 days i got really lucky because tomorow is midnight madness so i had to bring him home today i will post a picture as soon as i can

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: