• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

TNT280

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Hey everyone I need some help, I have 3 questions

I have a 24g nano jbj, with T5 lighting. Tank is running pretty well, all levels are good.

Every couple of days I have to top off my tank becasue the water evaporates below the the filter nozle, I keep my lights on from 8am to about 9pm. Is that normal or do I need to give the tank less lighting?

Should I always run the filter constantley?

How do I know if my SPS is dieing or dead, It use to be brown but now its gottin white on the bottoms up to the middle only the tips are brown.

Thanks
I really appreciate your help.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Do you know what type of T5 lighting? and how many watts?
Also, replacing the water daily would probably be better.
Are you testing the water parameters for alk/ca? Are you dosing?
The filter should definitely be running 24/7
SPS brown out when they're stressed. White is bleached or dead.
Since you said its white from the bottom up, sounds more like STN where the flesh is coming off slowly from the bottom up, and therefore the white is dead and not bleached.

BIG L A

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
How long has your tank been running?
what are your levels? (alk, cal,mag,nitrates, ect)
+1 on what ming said...
with sps you want stability on your water parameters, and this means dosing and topping off when neede. You might wanna buy a ATO it makes that part of the hobby so much easier...

TNT280

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I tested all levels

OK, I TESTED ALL THE LEVELS AND EVEYTHING IS PERFECT EXCEPT FOR ONE, THE SALTWATER HIGH RANGE pH, IS 7.8

IS THAT NORMAL? WHAT DO I NEED TO DO IF IT ISNT?

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP
TONY

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
OK, I TESTED ALL THE LEVELS AND EVEYTHING IS PERFECT EXCEPT FOR ONE, THE SALTWATER HIGH RANGE pH, IS 7.8

Can you post specifically what your levels are - it might help answer the question about your SPS issue :)

Should I always run the filter constantley?

Yes. :)
Do I assume this means you are not running a skimmer on this tank?

I keep my lights on from 8am to about 9pm. Is that normal or do I need to give the tank less lighting?

Both the blue & the daylight are on for 13 hours a day? That would be a but too much.
Are you having any algae issues?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: