Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hi again :)

I am beginning to buff my filtration on my 9g AIO, and one step in that process was giving the stock protein skimmer a second try (nano wave 9). More important steps involve finding a way to optimize the fuge and the flow through the rear compartments (carbon, polyfilter and GFO).

The reason I stopped running the skimmer in the first place is that it either fills the cup in 15 minutes or doesn't fill it at all; there doesn't seem to be a middle ground. Am I doing something wrong, does the nano wave skimmer not work or do I just need to empty the cup whenever I have a minute?

Thanks in advance.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I don't think there are many on here with that particular type skimmer. I have read that the smaller skimmers for the nano's are sometimes very difficult to adjust. Didn't see much on the web regarding adjusting them.
How long did you leave it at the adjustment where it seemed to be doing nothing?

I know Chief knows a bunch about Nano tanks..I'll ask him to swing by this thread and offer up some of his advice :)

Have you already added the carbon, gfo & polypad to the rear section? Perhaps a few pics will get you some suggestions on other ways to lay them out?

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
How long did you leave it at the adjustment where it seemed to be doing nothing?

Not very long. 20 minutes? Sounds like you're going somewhere with that question... should I leave it for a day, dial it a teeny weeny bit, leave it for another day, etc? Commence advice! :)

Have you already added the carbon, gfo & polypad to the rear section? Perhaps a few pics will get you some suggestions on other ways to lay them out?

Not yet. Trying to come up with a placement plan. The original compartments would be fantastic for both flow and media placement, but I didn't get them with the tank (which is discontinued). Pic below, in all its microbubble glory:

IMG_20100928_231315.jpg

Here is a link to someone's thread about modding their nanowave. They have some good rear section pictures: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104598

What are you buffing thetank with?

Hmm... now I am trying to figure out if that's a word from my gamer vocabulary or my real one. I meant to say that I am trying to improve my tank's mechanical filtration. As of now, I just drop a bag of carbon in and do a 40% water change every other week. The final intent is to have some organized process involving carbon, GFO and polypad, with the possibility of running the skimmer, if it adds to the health of the tank (I have heard plenty of times that a 10g doesn't need a skimmer).

Thanks for the help, Kathy and Chief.

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Not very long. 20 minutes? Sounds like you're going somewhere with that question... should I leave it for a day, dial it a teeny weeny bit, leave it for another day, etc? Commence advice! :)

ahhh...you know me too well ;)

20 minutes???!!! LMAO Wait, I have to re-read that... 20 minutes?
um, yeah, more than 20 minutes would be ...umm...reasonable? lol :)

It took my nano skimmer a day or two to start to kick in and even then I still adjust it every now & then (different type, and slightly bigger).

I'd let it sit longer and see what it pulls up. Better that way, especially when you aren't home all the time to watch it. Why worry about it skimming too wet.
If you get nothing after a couple of days, move the cup down a tiny bit and see what happens.

Looks from the pics like there is foam in there..yes?

Please do let us know how it goes!

..and even I was sure of Chief's reply and I usually get what he's talking about ;)

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
20 minutes???!!!

It took my nano skimmer a day or two to start to kick in and even then I still adjust it every now & then (different type, and slightly bigger).
Way to make me feel like an idiot :) Ok then, more time it is. I'm generally a really patient guy, I promise... I just assumed that the bubble rate was constant.

EDIT: oh wait... "move the cup down a tiny bit" - other skimmers can do that? Mine is pretty solid - no cup movement allowed, except to remove and replace.

Looks from the pics like there is foam in there..yes?
No... actually, there isn't. There was, for a bit, but I wasn't sure if it was helping so I took it out. Put it back in?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Way to make me feel like an idiot :) Ok then, more time it is. I'm generally a really patient guy, I promise... I just assumed that the bubble rate was constant.

No... actually, there isn't. There was, for a bit, but I wasn't sure if it was helping so I took it out. Put it back in?

OMGosh - certainly not looking to make you feel that way! I apologize!
I find the bubble rate a little more erratic in the smaller skimmers (certainly due to the pump & design) than the full sized skimmers out there. Unfortunately, they seem to take a lot of extra patience to dial in!

I'd definitely put it back in :)

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
OMGosh - certainly not looking to make you feel that way! I apologize!
I find the bubble rate a little more erratic in the smaller skimmers (certainly due to the pump & design) than the full sized skimmers out there. Unfortunately, they seem to take a lot of extra patience to dial in!

I'd definitely put it back in :)
Haha, nah. Smiley = it's all good.

Foam is back in. Any other suggestions about filtration media would be great, but I think I just need to find the best way to place the stuff and get it all running consistently.

Will let you know how it goes.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Haha, nah. Smiley = it's all good.

Foam is back in. Any other suggestions about filtration media would be great, but I think I just need to find the best way to place the stuff and get it all running consistently.

Will let you know how it goes.
;) good - thanks!

Chief can fill you in on the rest about the media, I defer to him on that part :)

Deep Dive Coral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
also correct me if im wrong but 40% water changes could be the reason why you are not getting any skimmate as well. there really isnt anything to skim with that kind of change over... chief chime in if im wrong on this one....

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I use Chemipure elite and a poly bad. That's all the media I use. My skimmer is on 24/7. I feed a few times per week. The skimmer needs to break in, run it wet for a few days then slowly make your adjustments.
Great info! I just looked up Chemipure elite, and I think I am sold on it. The only negative comment I found was, "my tank water is TOO clean now" lol. I'll definitely try the stuff and see how it works out. Thanks!

also correct me if im wrong but 40% water changes could be the reason why you are not getting any skimmate as well. there really isnt anything to skim with that kind of change over... chief chime in if im wrong on this one....
Would you suggest... "less frequent water changes" or "smaller water changes"?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: