LaurieC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I've been using Tropic Marin and I'm considering a switch to the ESV Bionic Salt System. How do you switch over without shocking the system? Also anyone have any experience with the ESV System--pro/con?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I've been using Tropic Marin and I'm considering a switch to the ESV Bionic Salt System. How do you switch over without shocking the system? Also anyone have any experience with the ESV System--pro/con?

ESV salt is an excellent salt, you mix it per the instructions in the box. It mixes fast and clean and is a very well balanced salt (as far as what is in it). The instructions allow you to mix a variety of different amounts at one time (5 g - 10g- 20g ..and others...) and the measuring utensils are included in each box.

When changing salt it is suggested that you slowly start mixing the new salt in with your old salt until you are completely switched over to the new salt.
1st water change 10% new salt & 90 % old
2nd water change 20% new salt & 80 % old
and so on.
I don't know that it needs to be done that slowly (IMO) but you get the idea :)

I've entirely switched salts a few times over the years (all at once)and can't say I've seen any negative affects , but my tanks are softie tanks. I would think an SPS tank might have more issues than a softie tank with salt changes due to their more stringent requirements for Ca.

..and I know of no 'cons' about ESV salt :)

Last edited:

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Gradually.... over 6 weeks doing weekly water changes. You have to ween your system off Tropic Marin and slowly do the change over.
1st water change, 85% Tropic Marin salt to 15% whatever salt you decide to change over to(ESV).
2nd water change, 75% to 25% salt mix
3rd 65% 35% salt mix
4th can now do 50% 50% salt mix
5th 25% 75%
6th complete change over ratio.
Pro's Con's not sure of never used ESV. Ask ZannyMaster he was or still is using ESV 3part salt mix.

LaurieC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Thank a million to you both!!! I will order my salt now before I'm out of the Tropic Marin and start to mix them. And I will reach out to ZAnnyMaster to see what his experience has been. I have to admit, the mixing sounded like a lot of work/possible confusion, but with all tools and guides should be manageable. Thanks!!

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Just curious is there any rational or threads to the go slow with the salt change? Given the average water change is 10 or 20 percent wouldn't any change in the new salt chemistry be minimal?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Just curious is there any rational or threads to the go slow with the salt change? Given the average water change is 10 or 20 percent wouldn't any change in the new salt chemistry be minimal?

I've read it many times that it is suggested to do it this way, but as I stated, I never noticed anything amiss when I suddenly changed salts.
I would think the SPS keepers need to be on top of where their parameters have changed and adjust dosing due to the difference in levels.
I tend to agree with you :)

Laurie - the included instructions are extremely easy to follow..as long as you read them :)

Deep Dive Coral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I just switched salts. And withoit thonking I did a 30% change with the new salt. All of my corals kind closed up and thrn started to open up after about 5 hours. But the polyp extension was unbelievable with the new salt. Im extreamly happy with it. But as long as you do little water changes you will be fine imho.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Laurie, glad to see you asking for the opinions of the community. Keep in mind you're going from a FOWLR, with the exception of one small colony of zoa's/paly's. The feather dusters are probably the most sensitive of all the critters in your tank. In order to be smart about the switch over, AND cost effective, I would just time the change so that you use up all the Tropic Marin at the same time you are completely onto the ESV. This is just a 'makes sense' way to do it. You should most likely see no ill effects whatsoever.

:)

R

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: