• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys my leather croal has these gray spots on it i noticed a few days ago.... it looks almost like the skin is ripped off... maybe it's shedding?ill post some pics when lights go on. in a few hours... anyway what do u think it could be... it's plaaced directly under filter flow and yesterday i saw some squiggly tenticale thing coming out of the rock and feeling the coral... but the coral did get alottt bigger

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you read my last post? Here is you're answer, as far as I can tell:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=grey+spots+on+leather+coral

Good luck in the hobby!

thanks.. i tried to look in google but nothing showed up.. probably wasnt specific enough... heres a pic.. o and are feather dusters hard to take care of? i might get one tommrow

146_2113.jpg

yesterday my leather was huge!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i did see some white spots... i thought it was that tenticle stinging my leather but it might not be.. my leather was fully opened yesterday... but keep in mind i did notice some of the grey spots go away in minutes.. o and i also just did a top off.... but that shouldnt be a why it's like that rite?? idk...

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
If you take the time to Google Leather Coral Care you will get 155,000 hits.
You might want to try that.
Best to research ANY coral you get PRIOR to purchasing it.

If you take the time to Google Feather Dusters you will find that it would be an extremely POOR idea for your tank. Perhaps after leaning about it, you can tell us why that is so.

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take the time to Google Leather Coral Care you will get 155,000 hits.
You might want to try that.
Best to research ANY coral you get PRIOR to purchasing it.

If you take the time to Google Feather Dusters you will find that it would be an extremely POOR idea for your tank. Perhaps after leaning about it, you can tell us why that is so.

well it says i need a mature tank.... it needs plankton... a established reef qauarium... constant temperature and no change in temp or salinity... but even though my tank isnt mature enough yet my temp and salinity is constant now...sg is at 1.025....i dont think i am going to buy any more corals.. im just gonna keep to ones i have and let them survive the best i can... but i am going to get some damsels as they are very hardy and are even used to cycle tanks but shouldnt be used.. i might get chromis..idk..

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
well it says i need a mature tank.... it needs plankton... a established reef qauarium... constant temperature and no change in temp or salinity... but even though my tank isnt mature enough yet my temp and salinity is constant now...sg is at 1.025....i dont think i am going to buy any more corals.. im just gonna keep to ones i have and let them survive the best i can... but i am going to get some damsels as they are very hardy and are even used to cycle tanks but shouldnt be used.. i might get chromis..idk..

Check out all that info! Good stuff :) If you are going to get damsels, reading up a bit more on them can't hurt.

With regards to your question about top offs, I really don't think that some slight evaporation will cause a large enough change in water density to warrant coral deaths. At least not hardy corals. I like your idea about just sticking with what you have - it doesn't sound like you've reached a comfort level yet, so it really can't hurt to give things more time and take it slowly.

I apologize for sounding trite earlier, but it seemed like you had completely ignored my advice. I actually googled your exact thread words, "Gray spots on leather coral" to find an answer :)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Chromis Fish 164,000 Google hits

Read it - try the Liveaquaria link there (their fish info is usllay spot-on) and tell us whther that is a good choice for your tank.

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
i think it's shedding.... ill post a pic anyways

its not shedding, its polyps are pulled in in those "bald" spots. mine do this when they've been touched, and or they are unhappy. leathers a quite hardy, if u maintain ur water in good quality then it'll be ok

to the damsels get aggressive with every fish added to the tank after them except chromis they are the nice ones......but! lol chromis will kill each other off, unless there are the same size, this is my experince....started with 8, and now im down to 5, and one is in my fuge, cause it was already being picked on, the 4 remaining ones in the DT are the same size and they are playing nice. for now.... plus they arent very interesting IMO

Last edited by a moderator:

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not shedding, its polyps are pulled in in those "bald" spots. mine do this when they've been touched, and or they are unhappy. leathers a quite hardy, if u maintain ur water in good quality then it'll be ok

to the damsels get aggressive with every fish added to the tank after them except chromis they are the nice ones......but! lol chromis will kill each other off, unless there are the same size, this is my experince....started with 8, and now im down to 5, and one is in my fuge, cause it was already being picked on, the 4 remaining ones in the DT are the same size and they are playing nice. for now.... plus they arent very interesting IMO

hey thanks for replying =). i think it has "bald spots" because it is being touched by this weird tenticle thing coming out of my live rock... it's looks very clear and almost like a string. it constantly keeps touching my leather.. it's like the size of a 1/2 inch thred or floss... very slim.. i might move it and move my zoanthids somewhere else because one of my small polyps on my zoanthids are closed and looks like the cololr is gone... but the rest look very healthy.. maybe moving the corals to a different area for different flow will be good.. ill see how it turns out.. just wanna add.. my leather turned really gray when i woke up this morning.. yesterday it barely had any and it was HUGE!my temp had dropped in the morning because it was freezing in my house... it's getting colder and colder now since it's fall and i didnt have my heat up =(.. i think it went from like 80 to 75 and that sudden swing had cuse stress... but as soon as i turned my lights on 20 precent disappeared rite away... i just need to keep everything constant... the r/o water i used to top off was vuffered at one time but i dont think that has anything to do with it...im keepin with what i have.. no more corals until i get my tank established and i get more experience... mushrooms are hardy and leathersa and zoanthids so this is all im keeping...and since damsels are soo hardy and agressive i might just get a pair of clowns... not sure yet.. doing more research.. o and do you know if petland is a good fish store??

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out all that info! Good stuff :) If you are going to get damsels, reading up a bit more on them can't hurt.

With regards to your question about top offs, I really don't think that some slight evaporation will cause a large enough change in water density to warrant coral deaths. At least not hardy corals. I like your idea about just sticking with what you have - it doesn't sound like you've reached a comfort level yet, so it really can't hurt to give things more time and take it slowly.

I apologize for sounding trite earlier, but it seemed like you had completely ignored my advice. I actually googled your exact thread words, "Gray spots on leather coral" to find an answer :)

ya im not going to add any more corals for at least 5 months... until i rearch and try to make the ones i currently have happy... im just going to add a few hardy fish tommrow... maybe a pair of clowns or chromis.. but chromis get agressive if kept together and the clown probably need like 30 gallons... arrghh... 10g's r so small... i should have bought like a 30gal tank so it would be more easier to take care of... now im stuck.. 10 gallons are for like reef pro's.. but the corals i think seem to enjoy my t5 lighting =).. maybe i can add a firefish or a goby... before i do anything i will research though.. don't wnt to listen to lfs anymore... also have u ever been to petland?? i heard they have saltwater fish

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres how everything is going rite now.. pics include leather corals,mushroom,zoanthids,fulltank

u really cant see the the tenticle under the leather since it's so small

in your opinions how healthy do my corals look?

146_2121.jpg

146_2118.jpg

146_2117.jpg

146_2115.jpg

146_2116.jpg

146_2113.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
The leather looks like it is probably a toadstool, easier to tell if you had a pic of it open.

My advice is NOT to move either the leather or the zoas as neither like to be moved and can take a couple of weeks to settle into a tank. Moving them starts you from zero again. Not a good idea.

Better to purchase a fish from one of the vendors here.
FIRST find out if any of the fish you are thinking about are considered 'jumpers' (many are). If so, you need a mesh cover over the tank BEFORE you purchase one.

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leather looks like it is probably a toadstool, easier to tell if you had a pic of it open.

My advice is NOT to move either the leather or the zoas as neither like to be moved and can take a couple of weeks to settle into a tank. Moving them starts you from zero again. Not a good idea.

Better to purchase a fish from one of the vendors here.
FIRST find out if any of the fish you are thinking about are considered 'jumpers' (many are). If so, you need a mesh cover over the tank BEFORE you purchase one.

thanks kathy for being so helpful =)... i wont be buying any more corals as i am not that experienced... but for fish... i am still researching.... i do have a cover but not a mesh... i know clowns jump rarely but i also know firefish are huge jumpers... i also forgot to mention it could be my two stupid little snails that may be touching the corals... i never thought about the fact that they could have been on the rocks touching the corals at night.. for now im researching... i want something very easy and something that is very hardy and not verry aggressive/territorial... maybe a pair of clowns?? that might be pushing it.. gonna go do some reading.. i noticed a few days ago my rocks were in a differnt position and i was like??????? how did the rock move by itself.. probably the snails

Last edited:
T

THEDLO

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol take it easy. dont move anything this is will just frustrate the coral more. here is a pic showing exactly what ur leather did, and to the y, all i did was touch it till the polyps want in, and continued a lil more and bam bald tips

Attachments

• IMG00019-20101002-1919.jpg
    IMG00019-20101002-1919.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG00017-20101002-1917.jpg
    IMG00017-20101002-1917.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 200

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: